• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Throttle won't "return"

Changa

CB750 Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

just throwing my 80 model 750k back together after pulling it all apart, and have a little problem.

I rebuilt the carbs, but having put them back on, I've attached the throttle cables but the throttle doesn't actually work....when you pull the throttle it doesn't return.

I have had the bars, grips, everything off the bike so wondering if I've missed something very simple. When just the "throttle on" cable is connected, the carbs spring back no problem, but as soon as the return cable is hooked up....it simply stays on.

Any advice is appreciated. Pretty sure it's something dead simple I'm missing. And really hope I've put the cables back properly.

Peter

Check the cable routing. I believe that the throttle cable needs to go under the tank on the left side of the steering stem(sounds crazy) and then thru the hole in the frame for it to operate properly. At least that was what was causing mine to stick???

You cannot reverse the cables neither. Meaning, when you open up throttle cable housing at the handle bar, there are two distinct cables and "circuits". I suspect that you have them reversed at the carb. One is open, one is return. They have to be connected correctly both at the carb and at the handle. If you installed them reverse at either of the locations, then forget about it. The cable that has only one nut, goes in the front carb position. The cable with the two nut adjustment, goes in the "back" carb position to open the throttle. Also get the nut adjusted correctly to ensure the throttle is fully closed when the throttle is not engaged. A high idle that wont go down with the idle adjusting nut will give this away. Try these things. if still no luck, then you have something off mechanically with your carb obstructing it somewhere.

Also you need the correct cables for your bike. Incorrect cable lengths will also cause malfunction.

Last edited:
Also, when you rejoined the carbs together you have to make sure everything works smoothly before (and after) tightening down the screws to the two rails. I almost made this mistake, but caught it before re-mounting the rack on the engine (which is still awaiting the slow boat from Taiwan with my new accelerator pump kit).

Also, when you rejoined the carbs together you have to make sure everything works smoothly before (and after) tightening down the screws to the two rails. I almost made this mistake, but caught it before re-mounting the rack on the engine (which is still awaiting the slow boat from Taiwan with my new accelerator pump kit).

Thanks for replying guys.

Tried a few different things....making sure no kinks, checking carbs actually sprung back, removing the return cable (that worked). And then, for some reason, it just started working. I'm stumped, but I'll take it as a win.

Peter

Back