• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Best Big Bore kit for 74 CB750 and other mods

EGBIII

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

New to forum and sorry if this thread already exists. Thank you for the add.

Just brought home a 74 cb750 my first... Going to be my winter project and I will be tearing down engine mainly for cleaning and rehabing. Motor run wells and dont need to do much from a functional stand point.

I plan on doing mods to this over the years eventually new CR carbs, better suspension front and back disk brakes etc. But, I am wondering while I have this bad boy ripped apart what would be the best big bore kit to get and any other mods you can think of that would be good to do during this time. Kinda the when in Rome type of mentality.

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Really depends on your goals. Stock displacement has enough hp to make it a fun ride. 836 is the tried and true reliable street big bore. Will be your cheapest big bore as well. It is as reliable as stock. If you just do the big bore you will be disappointed in the power increase. All of the power in the 750 is found in the head...even a stock displacement needs a ported head to run really well. With any big bore you will need to spend good money on a ported head and cam to make the big bore worth while. 836 can use stock rods if absolutely necessary....minimum put new bolts and have them shot peened but I suggest good aftermarket rods for safety margin. All builds even stock size need heavy duty cylinder studs, heavy duty or at least new primary chains and cam chain and more then likely new cam chain tensioner roller parts. I suggest using MLS head gasket, this will require machining the head and top of cylinder. At least balance the crank, but a little lightening makes them smooth. Undercut trans gears are almost a must with more power to keep them from popping out of gear under accel.

If you want bigger bore then 836 then you'll be looking at more cylinder work with big sleeves. Need aftermarket rods...several options. Need good head and cam.

Non of the options will be cheap, bigger you go the more its going to cost because of more parts that need to be upgraded.

Electronic ignition and bigger carbs almost considered a must with the big bore stuff.

Anymore questions about the motor stuff just ask I can list more suggested parts if you figure out what direction you want to go.

I have fair amount of big bore pictures in couple of my photo galleries,

I suggest looking on cycle x website they have a bunch of options

Back