• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Headlight Upgrade help

MotoNavyGuy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got my first CB750 (1981 Cb750F) and the head light is in rough shape. I want to go for a more aggressive(military style) look, but I am also new to building bikes! I would love some help figuring out how I can replace/modify the OEM headlight(and all those ridiculous wires in the headlight assembly). I would like to add an LED instead of the halogen, and a front metal grill kind of thing. I see much smaller headlights that are 7" but they don't look like they have the space for all those wires. I can't find anything that explains how I get more of that "cafe/brat" look without sacrificing all that tuck-away space in the headlight housing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I swapped the bulb on my 82 to LED, only 3 wires. I also cleaned the lense up. That being said, lots of options depending on the look you want. I saw a 6.5" LED headlight with grill on ebay.

did you get a new housing/case? Where did you put all of the wires listed in this picture? If I wanted a completely new headlight assembly, where do the wires usually go? Thanks for the help!

Headlight750.jpg

I kept the assembly. There are clips for the connectors to hold them in place. The heatsink goes straight back in the middle, the module fit sideways. I soldered the 3 wires to make room and used 3 small connnectors instead of the big plastic one.

i tried LED headlight bulbs in several of my bike and i didn't like them. what i will do with my "new" CB750 is get some white LED strips for daytime riding and an on/off switch for the main headlight so i can turn that big energy drain OFF during the day and just use the LED's.

Trying to bump this thread. Anyone having luck with an aftermarket l.e.d. headlight from eBay or Amazon? I will probably keep the original turn signals.
I put an LED headlight designed for Harleys in my 1981 cb750k. A user posted in the Q&A on Amazon he was able to do the same so I gave it a shot. Turned out well. You have to take the headlight assembly apart all the way to the bulb, then put the LED headlight back into that assembly in reverse order. It wasn't that hard to figure out but I did take 20 minutes of fiddling with it.

I put an LED headlight designed for Harleys in my 1981 cb750k. A user posted in the Q&A on Amazon he was able to do the same so I gave it a shot. Turned out well. You have to take the headlight assembly apart all the way to the bulb, then put the LED headlight back into that assembly in reverse order. It wasn't that hard to figure out but I did take 20 minutes of fiddling with it.
So the Harley has a 7" sealed beam as well? I should be able to plug in and swap out the whole headlight?

Maybe. Keep in mind parts between the same manufacturer can differ as well. I think the LED headlight I bought was designed for older Harleys, and the rear of the headlight was made to also accommodate these Honda mounts and buckets.

Z-OFFROAD Upgrade 7 Inch Motorcycle LED Headlight w/DRL White Halo DOT Kit Compatible with Harley Davidson Street Glide Road King Special Electra Glide Ultra Classic Fat Boy Heritage Softail https://a.co/d/7c9ovnQ

Back