The Rocket, or pidjones winter of 18-19 rat bike project

Here she is, picked up today. A 1979 CB750F SuperSport. The GL1000 that I last rescued will have to move to the next room for a while I guess. Had to remove the calipers and pull the bake pads out to get the wheels freed up to load/unload it. Before I took it in the shop (basement garage) the tank came off and was drained of the stinky stale gas. The I left the tank outside because it still stinks. The last time this was tagged was 1999! It actually seems to be in pretty good shape other than cosmetics. Because of that, I plan to make it a rat bike by getting it to run safely and well but not fixing appearance items. The PO had the front part of the seat cut down, but it seems to be in good shape. I'll start pulling calipers and working them while I let some oil soak in the cylinders (couldn't do that very well on the GoldWing). There is very little rust compared to my GL1000, and the electrics at least appear to be in good shape with only one splice for a broken wire (that broke again). Intact airbox with a clean filter in it along with a few hickory nut shells and leaves. A LOT of mold/green crud but that won't get cleaned off unless in has to for performance sake. If anyone can identify these air forks, I'd appreciate it as I know they aren't correct for this bike and they are presently soft as can be.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Home 2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	8606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Home 3.jpg 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	8607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fork label.jpg 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	8608

Pulled the stator today. Inside of the case was full of aluminum oxide powder. Small hole in the bottom of the cover from a slide. Still needs more cleaning, but the stator ohms out good as do the field coils. The slip rings look pretty bad and I may pull the field rotor to chuck in the lathe and dress the slip rings. I got the cam cover off (non-standard bolts on the outside corners) and smeared assembly lube on all of the cam lobes, then squirted oil at the cam bearings and chains. Some bright "mechanic" shoved a sheet metal screw in to hold the tach cable, and cracked that tower. I think that it can be patched up with JB, and a standard 5mm fine still screws down into it. Plugs out 1st thing this morning, and PBBlaster squirted in. That set until this afternoon, and I bared the crank over. A little scratchy sounding at first. Smoothed out nice after a couple turns. Put motor oil down each hole and will roll it again tomorrow. P.O. claimed to have replaced the reg-rec. I really like this charging system better than the GL1000, which has an alt that puts out 100% and the reg/rec shorts excess to ground.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Don't have the tool to pull the rotor from the crankshaft and clean behind it/chuck it and polish the slip rings on the lathe. Don't have the steel to make one right now either (I probably will, later). So, went from 220 through 2000 grit cleaning corrosion and polishing the rings. Ohmed out the stator (.4 ohms each leg, 4.6 meg to ground) and rotor (4.4 ohms). I don't know where the mild continuity to ground on the stator is from. I cleaned it pretty well, even stuck it in the sink for scrubbing and after blowing it out with the compressor, baked it a little with the heat gun. There has been a lot of water in there. There was a poorly patched hole in the bottom of the stator cover from an accident. I dug their JB Weld out and replaced it with my own. I'll need to replace a lot of screws for the covers (Ace is the place). Next is to set valves and then check out the electrics, change the oil, and check compression.

Shazbot! Measured valve clearances. They range from 0 to 12 thousandths, with four at .0025 and two at .006. I've ordered the Motion Pro tool so the shims can be plucked, measured, and new ones ordered where I can't swap. Oh well, gives me time to go through the wiring, I guess.
    --------1-------------2--------------3-----------4
    E .0025/.0025----.004/.006------.006/.012---.004/.0025
    I .0025/.004----<.0015/.003----.004/.0045--.004/.003
    (all in inches)
    Last edited by pidjones; Yesterday at 10:28 AM.

New fun!

Pulled the front calipers off today and they are headed to the bin. Both pistons frozen SOLID (can't turn with good large channel locks). These look to be CB750F calipers on home-made adapters to the C forks. SO, why not replace with C calipers and dual pistons? Found a pair on ebay already and he will combine shipping.
    Have the headlight apart and all of the connectors separated. Don't look as bad as the Hunley did, and most are the newer, smaller connections. I'll clean all of them, clean up the handle switches, clean the ignition switch, and splice the main power wire that had a broken crappy spice near the headstock. I don't really mind working on the electrics.
    I hate brakes. At least I didn't get brake fluid everywhere, because the system was BONE DRY! All that came out was rust dust. Already have a Chinabay master and I plan to clean the splitter and buy new lines.

Today the battery got its acid and charge. Reworked the remaining electrical connections, repaired a burnt out fuse position (#1), installed a bypass fuse holder to replace the 30 Amp dogbone. The shim removal tool came in this afternoon, so I was able to pull and measure them all and will work out swap/purchases tomorrow. Last thing was to hook up the battery and a quick test of lights on the dash and tail light with key on, and bump the starter. Tomorrow I hope to get as far as a preliminary compression test. I know clearances are off, but it should reveal major (VERY low compression) issues.