• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

The Rocket, or pidjones winter of 18-19 rat bike project

Thanks! I fixed the speedo and found/fixed rear brake issue. Yesterday registered her, bought tags, and added her for liability to my bike policy. Just lacking mirrors and horn to be ready to ride away from the adjacent subdivision. That and weather to improve.

A little concerned that I see very little oil behind the timing cover. Just some splashes on the cover. Although I put a pan under it when I pulled the pickup plate to Locktite the starter clutch bolts, not a drop fell into it. Oil level checks good on the stick. Is it because I keep it on the center stand all of the time?
0daaabdcd2f3c3983a9f376b567f784d.jpg

Took the Rocket for a little over 8 mile loop today. After lowering the idle, it ran great! Brakes working well, and even the rear suspension seems to be functioning well. The GoldWing front suspension works real well for this bike and my weight (~185 lbs). Didn't hold it at high RPM, but got it over 8500 a couple times. Don't know how accurate speedo or tach are, but the speedo indicated 60 mph @~4700 RPM 5th gear. Brought it back home and let it idle while I took gloves and helmet off. Listened around as best I could, and didn't hear anything of concern. I'll probably change the oil this week so I can check for anything in it.

Yesterday was very nice, so I took the Rocket for my favorite local loop ~50 miles. Ran great, brakes working well. The front still feels a tad spongy, but it stops well and is very predictable. Rear nice and solid, just how I like it. Can't judge performance since I've primarily been a GoldWing rider. It definitely out-accelerates the 'wings. Handles real nice in low speed maneuvers, and takes sweepers smoothly. Suspension feels too stiff, but then I'm used to the cushy 'wing's ride and seat. Lots of vibration below 5000 RPM, but in 5th @5000 (~55mph by GPS) or above it really smooths out and the wind noise + intake sounds overcome the exhaust note. I had it up to 7500 RPM but didn't have the GPS on then. The speedo is wildly high at +10 mph at 55 mph. Doubt I'll try to fix that. The Euro-style bars that I put on really are comfortable for this 66 year-old body. I never liked the stock bars as they are the same that was used on GL1000s and give me stabbing back pain between the sholder blades in 15 miles. The foot peg position seems so high after riding the 'wings, but is not uncomfortable - just awkward for me to find when first taking off.

Norris was spilling after the historic rainfall that we've had last week, so there were quite a few folks there to see it. The overlook was less crowded, so I took the opportunity to take some "glamor shots" - if you can call them that for a rat bike.
03bad32271ff007c8fbc545de5f6a9f1.jpg

Ended up making a new under-cowl piece for it out of wrecked GL1800 plastic from the local dealer. All togethrr now and listed on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. It is exciting to ride, but att it just isn't my style.
e621d329ae82c7d43f63f5b42692e4bd.jpg
4e63952cdab9d7fc42b99df046046e59.jpg

Attachments

• e621d329ae82c7d43f63f5b42692e4bd.jpg
    e621d329ae82c7d43f63f5b42692e4bd.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
Rode it in to Knoxville last night for Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club meeting. My first time to be at their meeting (and join). Several old GoldWing friends there, and made many new friends. The CB750F ran fine! Only problem noticed was that the idle gets higher and higher as it warms up. I was barely able to get throttle increase from the choke full-out when I did the rebuild. Couldn't find a reason for it, and compared setup to photos in the SeanG document. So, I have to crank the throttle stop up a little to keep it running until really well warmed up then back it down, but seems to continue to creep up after that. I'll do another vacuum leak check soon with it both cold and again after about 20 miles of riding.

Also, mounted (just wedged in above the ignition switch) a cheap ebay digital voltmeter temporarily and connected it to the tail light fuse. Charging system seems great! Running at 14.1 volts over (I think) 3k rpm. Rode home with it turning dark, and headlight was adequate. Might need aimed just a little higher.
93a0685dd80b68d434cde0509ceee143.jpg

Next ebay purchase may be a cheap digital tach. I'm having trouble believing the mechanical tach - seems to be reading high while the speedometer is obviously optimistic by a bunch.

Last edited:
Well, it is idling without messing with the fast idle stop now. Took it for a ~ 40 mile ride (now have over 170 miles on it since rescue). Did a quick demo compilation to link on my Craigslist post. It's pretty quiet in it because the camera was in a water-proof housing that muffles it pretty well. Digital tach indicates that the mechanical is very close, and so is the speedometer (well, within the 80's Honda optimistic region).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqDorR_nC_c

Sold today. I had put a new set of plugs in it and took the idle mix screws in 1/2 turn and it was running great. Got back out of it basically what I had invested, so it paid for my winter project entertainment.

Last edited:
Back