• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Lack of Oil pressure 750 K7

kvikgrip68

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Have a K7 from 77

Bike hasnt been running since 1990 :)

Everything cleaned up

New oil , filter , battery , sump cleaned

Starter runs fine and motor fires up fine - good compression - has 40000 km on the clock

Problem is that engine oil lamp doesnt turn off when running

I have checked oil pressure relief valve in the sump and its ok

I have tried to fill oil in top off engine through valve adjustning holes and reservoir oil tank is full of oil .

the 2 Oil hoses from oil tank to crankcase is checked ok

No oil comes to Oil filter house

When oil pan is dropped lots of oil comes out

Anyone with any ideas in this matter ?

First off do not fill the engine with oil in the valve caps. The engine is a dry sump meaning the oil is stored in the oil tank not the oil pan when started the oil is fed from tank to the engine oiling circuit via oil pump. I believe there is a check valve to keep the oil in the tank when not running ( Not positive on My part) I would install a oil pressure gauge instead of the idiot light switch. The switch could be permanently grounded leaving the light on all the time. Good luck with it sorry I can not be of more help.

Sometimes the pumps get air lock when no oil in them for years or if you have had the pump apart and didnt prime it. You may have to pull the pump and put it in a tube of engine oil and turn the gear to get the air pocket out then reinstall on motor. You can first try pulling the hoses off the tank and feed oil into the suction hose then bump the motor over and keep adding oil as the level goes down till you get oil out of the return line. You may want to do this with the oil filter off then as soon as you get oil put it back on and continue. Ideally you would rig up a tank of pressurized oil and pressurize the engine in the oil gallery beings it is dry, if you crank much with no oil pressure you will damage engine bearings.

Sometimes the pumps get air lock when no oil in them for years or if you have had the pump apart and didnt prime it. You may have to pull the pump and put it in a tube of engine oil and turn the gear to get the air pocket out then reinstall on motor. You can first try pulling the hoses off the tank and feed oil into the suction hose then bump the motor over and keep adding oil as the level goes down till you get oil out of the return line. You may want to do this with the oil filter off then as soon as you get oil put it back on and continue. Ideally you would rig up a tank of pressurized oil and pressurize the engine in the oil gallery beings it is dry, if you crank much with no oil pressure you will damage engine bearings.

thanks for helping - so i can take off oilfilter and see if oil gets out off hole there when cranking ? i have now decided to put on a new oil pressure switch also

i did try to crank motor with sump pan off watching the oil pump with eyes onhe pump …. it looks like it sucks cause it was dripping out off the oil pump Bottom filter with oil there after cranking

The oil pump has two sections....two pumps in one. The 750 is dry sump so it has a scavange pump that pumps oil out of the pan up to the oil tank then it has a high pressure pump that sucks out of the tank and pressurizes the engine.

Still no pressure

The oil pump has two sections....two pumps in one. The 750 is dry sump so it has a scavange pump that pumps oil out of the pan up to the oil tank then it has a high pressure pump that sucks out of the tank and pressurizes the engine.
:confused:

Hi All
Back Again
Still no pressure on oil …..lamp wont go off

New oil pressure switch
Tried everything with oil directly into oil gallery plug and pressurized air in oil tank
Theres oil at the oil filter when i check there
checked the wire from the oil switch is okay
checked valves is not sticky in pump

what to do now ? other than putting on a new oil pump ?:yikes:

I don't know much about SOHC, but on my DOHC I lost oil pressure due to the pump housing bolts loosening up. I removed the side cover and sure enough the housing bolts were about a half turn loose. I thought this was not the problem but after reading the manual, it has you use a feeler gauge to test the gear play. Its a small clearance allowed. Also, with the pump in my hand, if the gears were ever so slightly not seated, the gears would bind! So to me, these housing bolts being loosened up was my problem. Once I got my new gasket and tightened the pump back on, I had pressure all day. There is also a cross shaft or pin that has the potential to shear in the pump. Have you removed the oil pump for inspection yet?

Back