• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750 Project 1978 K8 looking for some tips

tdubsy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've Been working on my CB750 for a few months now and have found a pretty decent amount of help on the forums.

Before the bike was barely running and wouldn't idle below 2000 rpm, Now its quite better but still a ways away from running well. I'm not a mechanic so don't be surprised if i've missed something even if its very simple

These are the current symptoms

- Bad/slow throttle response (very slow or bogs down if under 2000 RPM) Deosn't return to idle the fastest
- Small but consistent backfiring cylinder 1 (out of exhaust) - started after adjusting valve spacing (too tight?)
- not enough power to be able to roll around with just the clutch and not applying gas
- Plugs coming out sooty telling me it is running rich
- I have the stock 4 to 4 exhaust. pressure out of 1/4 is noticeably higher compared to 2/3. Can tell by holding hand near muffler

This is what I've done so far.

-Rebuilt Carbs (accel fuel pump was clogged)
- New Carb boots (old boots had vacuum leak)
- Installed dyna electronic ignition and coils
- static and dynamic timed ignition
- New spark plugs/boots and wires
- adjusted valve spacing to OEM specs
- Synced carbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhGfIRxR9kE

Does anyone have any idea what I should be focusing on next? Did I maybe tighten the valves too much on cyl 1 to cause the backfiring?

I am also very curious about the cause of uneven exhaust pressure

Have you checked your ignition coils to make sure they are in spec? I did not see that you changed them. Also are all the pipes hot to tell you they are all firing. I had an issue that mine would run but had no power. It ran on one cylinder as coils were bad.

Back