Thread: Motorcity 73

Motorcity 73

Hey folks,
    Howdy from Metro Detroit, MI. New to the forums and the CB, but not to bikes. So here's my build thread.
    Friend of mines bought a house and the original owner left his 73 CB. Original owner said he no longer wanted it so I got a phone call and now its mines. Haha.
    Going in my thought process was if anything i get a free frame to start a cafe build i have been wanting to do for years.
    Here she is a yesterday when I picked her up.
    Surprisingly Gas tank is pretty clean and i was able to turn the motor over with kickstarter so no seized motor.
    Couple areas of concerns right off is the oil residue on the front of motor and a lot on left side and exhaust. Wonder what thats from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like the guy was going for the chopper look as the front forks are super long.
    Got the carbs off and there not too bad bike has been sitting for about 15years in a not so weather tight garage.

And here is how she is sitting now. A day later

Oil is from the rubber pucks under the cam towers leaking. And the head gasket is probably seeping as well. Both very common.

Welcome, I live outside of Grand Rapids, grew uo in Troy.
    Drive fast and take chances

Cool thanks guys. Here she is now. Slowly tearing her down, hope to pull the motor by next week. This is gonna be a slow build though as i want to do everything right. Planning on 8 months or so maybe more. What are you guys using for motor stands?

Hi DJ, Detroit area myself. Motor stands can be built fairly easy if you have a welder and some angle but I just use a small dolly and a block of wood lol. Nice pick-up. Bike has the aftermarket finned covers also. The one I'm working on sat for 26 yrs and had way more stuff to do. looks like your's isn't as bad as my carbs looked like this..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	8648

Looks like a fun project! Lots of folks don't realize how much blown fork seals can oil down the front of a motor. I did a GL1000 project by screwing 2 pairs of 2x4s to a Harbor Freight furniture dolly and ratchet strapping it under the engine. I was able to remove the wheels then, and even take the frame off of the engine thanks to the removable frame section. I understand that a fixture can be made to attatch the CB750 cases to different standard engine stands.

One good thing about working on a bike that has set since before the alcohol mandates is that although there may be lots of varnish, it is readily disolved in acetone and there should be minimal water-caused corrosion.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"