• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hello forums

Gabe2558

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello world, I’m new to the forums. I’m going to pickup tomorrow a 1981 cb750 for 300$ it’s completely disassembled and does not run. I have no experience with motorcycles. Hope I can get it done..
what would be the first step for me to do to get the bike running?

Diving into the deep in of an empty pool blindfolded is not the best way to learn to swim. It looks like I'm too late but "DON'T DO IT!"

Even if the bike was in perfect condition, it would be a poor choice to learn on and as far as old Hondas go, the DOHC is much more difficult to work with then the SOHC.

That being said, if you insist on diving, make sure the engine and frame numbers match the title. Make sure you have a lot of expendable cash too ;)

I kinda have to go with Dave on this, It would be better if you picked up a bike that runs somewhat so that you can learn to do the maintenance and general repairs first. Then you would be able to get further in depth with it . If you do get it understand you may not get it up and running for a year or possibly 2 along with allot of frustration. there are a bunch of folks that have done what your considering and after a long time and a bit of money they gave up, so be ready for that. good luck in whatever you choose and I'm sure some of these guys will help you if they can.

First step would be to obtain and abdorb the factory service manual. Next would be to realize that it will take time, skills, and probably tools that you don't own. To get it running (not rideable), correct assembly, all adjustments and measurements listed in the FSM, proper wiring (no doubt a new battery), and initial static timing set. Never having done a bike before, I suggest sending the carbs off to one of the expert rebuilders unless the PO had already done so, or it was stored with no gas in it. Once running, you can focus on brakes - DON'T try riding it without excellent brakes! Also it will need new tires if the ones on it are 5 years or older. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back