• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Help with brake splitter and headlight bracket measurements

Changa

CB750 Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,
hoping someone can assist. I am still trying to narrow down exactly what year my bike is, but seem to have it pegged for 1980 CB750KZ or KA.
In saying that, there's a few bits on it that aren't right for the bike (not even Honda parts). Indicators are Suzuki and headlight bucket is Yamaha.

Stripping it down, I found that the front brake hose "splitter" is not as wide as the holes on the tree clamp. The brake splitter has 2 holes that are 40mm apart, whilst the clamp holes are 60mm apart. Can anyone please tell me which is the right bit ? Has the splitter been changed, or the clamp ? Bike has twin discs I might add.

Secondly....the headlight never sat quite right in the bracket.....turns out the bucket was from a Yamaha, but I'm wondering if it's the right bracket too. Bracket looks to be 7 inches wide, as is headlight, but the bracket seems "stretched. Can someone please confirm the width between the bracket mount points please.

Hoping someone can assist.
Peter

IMG_1213_zpse1rv0jea.jpg

IMG_1215_zpsduhry6eb.jpg

IMG_1216_zpshbax0vgp.jpg

It's likely someone used salvage yard parts. It also appears the "splitter" mounting bolts snapped off and someone improvised to get it working as the original mounting has two pieces of threaded rod coming out and the "splitter" has two through holes and is secured with two nuts. The replacement "bolt" system that is imaged looks to be a band aid. IIRC, that's part of the lower triple tree, correct? You might be able to drill/tap or helicoil the original mounting locations and run a stock "splitter" or replace the lower triple tree clamp.

Thanks Wez.

I'm going to seek out a splitter that fits, because I really don't think this is right for the bike. Biggest hassle is most stuff I need is in the U.S, and postage is an absolute killer these days.

Peter

check this ebay posting. I have no problem with using used parts. I have a portable baking soda blaster to take care of any light rust. If you get used hoses, just take a hangar and breech the ends to ensure they are free of debris. Carb cleaner and compressed air. If you're getting fancy, tape the hoses off and use "Brake Gray" aerosol paint on the fittings/splitter from the US based company Eastwoods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Honda....TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xcb750+front+brake+hoses.TRS1

This is the stuff. Works amazing. You can see the metal flakes in the paint if used outside. Use a respirator. This stuff is rock solid and is the only paint I have ever used that laughs at brake fluid.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-b...NERBhyHW_kbe_mlN8jtCxDApvC2nstaBoCtSwQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
check this ebay posting. I have no problem with using used parts. I have a portable baking soda blaster to take care of any light rust. If you get used hoses, just take a hangar and breech the ends to ensure they are free of debris. Carb cleaner and compressed air. If you're getting fancy, tape the hoses off and use "Brake Gray" aerosol paint on the fittings/splitter from the US based company Eastwoods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Honda....TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xcb750+front+brake+hoses.TRS1

This is the stuff. Works amazing. You can see the metal flakes in the paint if used outside. Use a respirator. This stuff is rock solid and is the only paint I have ever used that laughs at brake fluid.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-b...NERBhyHW_kbe_mlN8jtCxDApvC2nstaBoCtSwQAvD_BwE
You would fit used brake hoses, perhaps 40 years old? :confused: What price your life should one fail on that once-in-a-lifetime emergency stop? Don't risk it to save a few $.

Thanks Wez.

I'm going to seek out a splitter that fits, because I really don't think this is right for the bike. Biggest hassle is most stuff I need is in the U.S, and postage is an absolute killer these days.

Peter

If you want I can send you some pics of my bikes' arrangement. The splitter you have is not a Honda part, someone has bodged his brakes in the past.
Retired Kamikaze pilot perhaps. My bike is the UK spec CB750 F2C 1983. There is a slight difference due to the fairing fitted to this version, the essential parts are however the same. let me know.

The splitter that you first posted is indeed a Honda splitter. From a GL1000. You might want to check that the front forks and tripple are propper. GL1000 '78 and '79 forks use the same caliper mounts, and the triple tree fits the headstock.

Back