• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New to me 1984 Nighthawk.

Nighthawkdown

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a Mortorcycle newbie that just bought my first Honda. I picked up my 1984 CB-750 Nighthawk on a Buy & Sell site for $200. I was told that is was running before the previous owner knocked it over with his pickup (minor damage, Clutch lever and signal lights broken, & carburetors out of sync) 5 years ago. It’s been sitting outside in the Northern B.C weather since, until yesterday when I brought it home and put it in the garage. I really want to try and get a couple rides in before fall and winter, so I want to the minimum amount of maintenance I need to able to take it out.

So far what I have done is
-Removed the tank to somehow clean all the rust out. ( I’m thinking vinegar and pressure wash)
- pulled the plugs ( actually in very good condition) And put a tsp of synthetic 20-50 motor oil in the cylinders.
- removed the rear tire and removed the air box to clean out. ( seat was stored inside and filter removed so was full of leaves and crud)

I’m looking for any suggestions on what else I should do before putting it back together? Should I pull the bank of carbs to clean them? Seems like it might be easier since I have the air box removed already. But I’m unsure if I actually need to. The previous owner said he thinks that the carbs need to be re synced. I’m guessing I’m gonna have to buy a kit unless I can find someone that already has one or if I can rent one. As I said I would love to be able to go out on even just a couple rides before summer is over (September roughly). I am thinking about pulling it all apart and possibly rebuild and paint over the winter ( 6-7 months of depressing boredom haha). Any suggestions / advice would be awesome.

Clean carbs for sure! Check carb boots for leaks
Lube cables
Change oil and air filter.
I see you are Canadian, Fortnine.ca is good for us.
Check fork seals.

Back