• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

74 CB750k4 still won’t start.

Radioone

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 74 CB750 approx 1 year ago. Bike didn’t run when I bought it but would turn over using kick starter. Previous owner said engine ran before bike was parked 10 years ago. Bike has compression 120-150psi, spark, fuel and timing is correct. Good starter and new battery. Damn thing should start but cranks too slow to get it to fire. My thought is that internal corrosion is causing too much drag from friction. Has anyone tried towing their bike to get motor to crank fast enough to start? Once it starts it should loosen up enough to start with electric start.

Still cranked slow with all spark plugs removed. Pulled starter to make certain it was working properly and found plenty of torque. Filled cylinders with penetrating oil and let it sit for a few weeks periodically turning motor over with the nut on the alternator/rotor. In the beginning I was able to turn motor over with the kick starter. Now the kick starter is jammed and won’t move. I removed the clutch and found the kick starter ratchets and is free. I reinstalled clutch and kickstart jammed again. Transmission appears to shift ok and putting engine in neutral doesn’t help.

Back