• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How do I find out what all this is worth? Bike, second chassis, buckets of parts

usedtoride

CB750 New member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had bikes. A couple Yamahas (YZ80 and YZ125) and a 1968 Bridgestone. That was a fun bike.

Fast forward a bunch of years.

We're visiting a cousin in central Illinois. The discussion turns to bikes and we walk out to the garage. His wife had just given him a Harley for his birthday.

(Be patient - I'm getting to it.)

He explains that before he got the Harley, he was almost done restoring a '72 CB750. Took it completely apart, sandblasted and painted the frame (he was an auto body guy in his day job), and put most of it back together, then hadn't done anything with it since his wife got him the Harley. It was just there in the garage.

But that's not all.

There were two other cousins in the area who owned CB750s. One bought his in '71, the other also bought his in '72 with the first cousin I mentioned.

They'd stopped riding years before and gave their bikes to him to keep for spare parts or whatever.

I said, "So what are you going to do with all that?"

He said, "You want it?"

I said, "*#^$&@& ^%#$, YES."

So we loaded it into the pickup.

That was about 20 years ago. I was away in grad school at the time. Figured I'd get to it soon. Then eventually. Then...maybe one day. Then...it's been 20 years and it's time to go.

I've got:

'72 CB750, partially restored, not all together but about 90-95% on the bike, but all parts are there to complete it. I've got a title for it.

'71 CB750 rolling chassis (he sandblasted and painted that one, too)

about 2 maybe 3 more sets of carbs (all 4)

3 gas tanks

another set of wheels

Two engine blocks

Buckets and buckets and buckets and buckets of parts; gears, lights, chains, pistons, you name it. When he gave me everything, he said, "Not only do you have everything you need to finish that second bike, you should have enough to finish a third if you find a frame." I don't know if that's entirely true, but it's what he told me. As I recall, there are about 12-15 buckets of parts.

I need the space and need to clear it out but have no idea what it's correctly worth. Plus, I've got 4 little kids and the facts that I had a cousin nearly killed on a bike and an uncle who lost about 2" out of his left leg by the time they were done putting it back together after a bike accident aren't helping give my wife any peace of mind.

So what is all of this worth? Honestly. I'm sure there might be one person or two salivating for a bike in a box project who'll say, "Oh, umm, yeah I'll give you $50 for it."

But honestly - a nearly complete bike, a second rolling chassis, and hundreds of pounds of parts - what would be a good asking price that gets me an accurate, fair, and reasonable amount and would also be reasonable to a buyer?

Any sincere advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

CB750.jpg

Second chassis.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.18.57 AM.jpg

it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, basically if you have tittles it is worth more then a non-tittle bike. all I can say is take a look on e-bay and see what things are selling for (not what they are asking) Good Luck

it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, basically if you have tittles it is worth more then a non-tittle bike. all I can say is take a look on e-bay and see what things are selling for (not what they are asking) Good Luck

Thanks for your reply, ricerocket71. I get that. It's just that I had someone offer me $200 bucks, and it's like, "Seriously? For a motorcycle, a rolling chassis, extra engine blocks, gas tanks, and enough parts for 3 bikes? C'mon."

I'm just looking for a ballpark number. If any of you were in the market for it, considering what a used bike would go for (with a title, what, at least $500, I would think), plus a chassis (another $300 at a minimum, I would think), plus hundreds of pounds of parts, is $1250 too much to ask? Is $2000 reasonable? I'm just hoping for some guidance on where the gallery here would think a reasonable asking price might be, if that's possible to estimate.

I would say that $1500 - 2000 is a reasonable price for everything, just remember it would have to be someone one local - as it would cost more to ship it. If you were to split up the parts you have and sell individual on ebay you would get a lot more. But I would not let them go for 500 they are worth well more then that. you have held them this long remember one thing people want original parts not reproductions and the parts for the years you have are getting harder to find everyday.

Take lots of pictures and post on forums...here included. Look through your buckets and get an idea of what you actually have...a bucket of bolts not worth much of anything but buckets with internal parts and hard to find parts will get peoples attention and get them interested, If you were in my area I would give you $1500 for the lot...yes you have two bikes when all put together but thats the thing they are not together so it will be a project for someone. Stock factory exhaust and plastic and tanks are big sellers if everything is custom painted colors then its not going to interest many people unless its a common close to factory color.

Back