• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Emptied master cylinder, still need piston out, next steps

eikkaj

CB750 New member
Reaction score
N00b here when it comes to brakes. I have a caliper that seems to misbehave after braking once or twice - piston gets jammed, have to wait until it slowly goes back in. I figured a rebuild would be a good idea after asking around and would be interesting. Long story short, master cylinder is empty and half the caliper is attached to the brake line, I was hoping to push the piston out this way so that I could start the rebuild and probably while I'm at it replace the lines, etc since I just got the bike. Now that the master cylinder is empty, I obviously have no pressure. I'm wondering what the recommended course of action is here- fill it back up, do I need to bleed the master cylinder before I can get pressure again?

Thank you for any advice!

N00b here when it comes to brakes. I have a caliper that seems to misbehave after braking once or twice - piston gets jammed, have to wait until it slowly goes back in. I figured a rebuild would be a good idea after asking around and would be interesting. Long story short, master cylinder is empty and half the caliper is attached to the brake line, I was hoping to push the piston out this way so that I could start the rebuild and probably while I'm at it replace the lines, etc since I just got the bike. Now that the master cylinder is empty, I obviously have no pressure. I'm wondering what the recommended course of action is here- fill it back up, do I need to bleed the master cylinder before I can get pressure again?

Thank you for any advice!

I got mine out with compressed air. Just be careful to keep it aimed at the floor and have something soft like a wadded up towel to catch it.

If the piston is coming out with the force of the master cylinder then fill it up and pump it till it comes out.

Back