• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can I Cut Muffler 1979 CB750

IsaacV

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and was hoping I could get some opinions. I have a 79 CB with a 4 into 2 exhaust. I was thinking about cutting the mufflers in half and purchasing one of those after market baffles. The headers are perfect but the mufflers were spray painted black so I dont mind messing them up alittle and was thinking about turning them into shorties. Also would i have to re-tune the carbs if i choose to do it? any input is greatley appreciated!

Best,

Cutting a muffler in half just destroys the muffler.

You'd want to remove the entire muffler and replace it. 4 into 2 isn't stock and there's many aftermarket brands so first thing to do is identify what exhaust you have.

If your just looking for annoyingly loud, go with a 4 into 1. My 79 had one and it was like having a dragon chasing me everywhere I went. My 74 (my profile pic) has 4 into 2 with turn outs. It's annoyingly loud too (not as loud as the 79 was) but I've no clue what brand it is and I can't afford to replace it.

As for carbs, probably yes, maybe no, it really depends on what you get. There's a lot of variables in exhaust systems.

Back