• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Requesting some guidance

AMC is gone, he didnt like being told he needs to talk nicer to people.

Welp guess I'll just scrap the build then. No sense in going on from here.

On that note I'll do some research and see who is in my area or who people have used in the past.

Why scrap it because AMC is gone?? Simple plan, if cylinders are worn have it bored to next size or new sleeves or go big bore or find a good used block or a complete good used engine.

Why scrap it because AMC is gone?? Simple plan, if cylinders are worn have it bored to next size or new sleeves or go big bore or find a good used block or a complete good used engine.

Sorry, that was sarcasm which is hard to convey through the internet.

All my local shops are closed, but I've been doing some Google searches to find ones with good reviews. How important is it to find a machine shop that specializes in older Japanese motorcycles? Would any reputable shop suffice?

Road trip! You do realize you can pay companies to raise your google rank yes? It may be a good place to start but don't blindly trust that shit.

Start visiting bike shops, ones that do work on bikes. Look for old guys and old bikes. Tell them your situation and what your thinking about doing. Don't discount the local Honda shop, ask them questions too. People are usually more forthcoming with info face to face then over the phone.

When I was in MI, I had to find someone to true my rear wheel and replace several spokes. It's the stock Honda hub with a 16" Harley outer laced to it, very popular 'back in the day'. In this day, many shops won't touch spokes let alone custom ones. I eventually found a guy about 50 mi from my house. He had several early model Hondas for sale too, and practically a junkyard of spare parts, and a spare wheel just like mine to pull the spokes out of that I needed ;)

One good thing, oversized pistons and related parts are easier to come by then stock size.

Sorry to hear AMC is gone. I really liked that grumpy old bastard.

Road trip! You do realize you can pay companies to raise your google rank yes? It may be a good place to start but don't blindly trust that shit.

Start visiting bike shops, ones that do work on bikes. Look for old guys and old bikes. Tell them your situation and what your thinking about doing. Don't discount the local Honda shop, ask them questions too. People are usually more forthcoming with info face to face then over the phone.

When I was in MI, I had to find someone to true my rear wheel and replace several spokes. It's the stock Honda hub with a 16" Harley outer laced to it, very popular 'back in the day'. In this day, many shops won't touch spokes let alone custom ones. I eventually found a guy about 50 mi from my house. He had several early model Hondas for sale too, and practically a junkyard of spare parts, and a spare wheel just like mine to pull the spokes out of that I needed ;)

One good thing, oversized pistons and related parts are easier to come by then stock size.

Sorry to hear AMC is gone. I really liked that grumpy old bastard.

I had an idea you could do that, but I guess I didn't take that into account when trying to find a place.

With my work and school schedule I wouldn't mind just sending it to someone who's kind of considered the gold standard of engine work. Around here in Oregon it really isn't an oasis of motorcycle gurus. If it were a bicycle I could go anywhere and be fine, but not a lot of motorcycle riders around here.

Given the measurements I posted, what would my next bore size be? As in, what will they have to approximately bore out to make them all even for the next size up in pistons/rings?

On another note, while doing some cleaning work on the valves I noticed one of the valve guides didn't have a rubber seal on it. I'm 100% certain I didn't lose it so I'm hoping they haven't been running the valve without the dang seal for the last 26k miles. Not sure if it was ever put on there.

Any machine work needed I would send to APE, or Cycle Xchange. They do all my machine work. Best in the business for motorcycles. You will have to search for factory oversize pistons, the dohc motor just is not popular with the aftermarket....very few parts available. Cycle X does have a wiseco 823 kit and several other engine pieces. APE is best in the nation for cylinder head work, hands down.

He drove away as many potential new members as he helped, he decided to leave instead of taking advice.

I'm almost wondering if it would be cheaper to try and find a donor bike to steal the cylinder block from and hope I can re use it or even just try and remove and replace the skirts so I can use factory pistons.

The 823 kit with the boring service would be 700/800!

Any machine work needed I would send to APE, or Cycle Xchange. They do all my machine work. Best in the business for motorcycles. You will have to search for factory oversize pistons, the dohc motor just is not popular with the aftermarket....very few parts available. Cycle X does have a wiseco 823 kit and several other engine pieces. APE is best in the nation for cylinder head work, hands down.

Though I've never used either of those (because I've not had machine work done since I was a kid) I've only heard good things.

I have read enough of DD's posts to totally trust his advice.

I'm almost wondering if it would be cheaper to try and find a donor bike to steal the cylinder block from and hope I can re use it or even just try and remove and replace the skirts so I can use factory pistons.

To replace the sleeves you will still have the cost of the sleeves them selves, the labor to press the old out new in, then size them to your used pistons. Then you would still need to buy new rings, cant reuse them.

Big bore kit is $440 boring would be $150 as it should be just a bore service no sleeves.

You may get lucky to find a bore that is usable but would still have to hone and use new rings and it still wouldnt be 100% correct because any used cylinders still will not be perfectly round or straight so it would be a budget rebuild. But think how old these bikes are and trying to find one with really good clean cylinders with low mileage probably wont be an easy task.

This is why we told you to check the compression before you bought it, which you would also need to do with any donor bike.

So now you decide, continue with this bike and end up with a freshly rebuilt motor that you rebuilt yourself or, find a different bike that already runs.

If you choose to carry on, make your overall plan and stick to it. Are you going to modify the carbs and exhaust too? Perhaps port and polish the head? or just rebuild the top end and keep the rest stock.

The big bore kit is the simplest next move at this point just because you get everything in one package and you get to reuse, after some machining, your original cylinder.

Myself, I couldn't resist taking a die grinder to the head because I do my own porting. I quite enjoy it. But that leads to modified carbs and exhaust, a whole other can of worms.

I'm going to harass AMC until he returns to this site dammit!!! I mean, I at least wanted to thank him for this help etc. You know he's somewhere biting his fingernails thinking about cb750.com.......maybe not, but he's like a walking Hondapedia

This is why we told you to check the compression before you bought it, which you would also need to do with any donor bike.

So now you decide, continue with this bike and end up with a freshly rebuilt motor that you rebuilt yourself or, find a different bike that already runs.

If you choose to carry on, make your overall plan and stick to it. Are you going to modify the carbs and exhaust too? Perhaps port and polish the head? or just rebuild the top end and keep the rest stock.

The big bore kit is the simplest next move at this point just because you get everything in one package and you get to reuse, after some machining, your original cylinder.

Myself, I couldn't resist taking a die grinder to the head because I do my own porting. I quite enjoy it. But that leads to modified carbs and exhaust, a whole other can of worms.

I could have sworn I responded to this but it didn't save.

I went there with the compression gauge and didn't bring the right adapter for the spark plug threads. Fell in love with it and bought it...Oh well...

I'm just being a baby. I knew I was getting into a project and that's exactly what I got. I'm already ahead of schedule so I'm good there. I'm going to end up doing a big bore kit on it since they will run better than the stock pistons anyway.

I will get all my powdercoating for free so the money I save from that will just go into other stuff. No sweat there.

I don't mind spending the money on something that I plan on keeping for many, many years.

You guys are all awesome with the help and advice.

Back