• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fork cap frustration

SurferD

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I just changed my fork seals, dust caps, and the little split plastic seal inside the cartridge. It went pretty well except for the darn clips.
I filled each leg with 6oz 10w and put the springs in small diameter first. I can’t get the fork caps to engage without slightly cross threading. I’m using my thumb and the end of a small hammer to compress and a 17mm wrench to turn. I don’t remember this much pressure when I took them apart. Could the springs not be seated correctly inside?

Ok I kind of made my own wrench that I could apply more downward pressure with out of a 11/16 crow foot wrench and vise grips. I had to take the bars off for clearance and was able to get the caps on.

I have used a speed wrench, you know, that thing in your tool box that looks like a model T Ford crank.
The crank shape allows some down pressure while easily turning the crank. Works for me.

Back