• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Guy Here, Needing some help....

Old Okie

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick intro. New to the CB750 but not new to motor cycles.
I mostly work on them now rather than ride. My age is showing.
This year I have rescued 2 old relics and turned them into useful
bikes. A 50cc Chinese monkey bike for my younger grand son and
a CB400T II for my older grandson, plus a Suzuki RV90 last year.
I have had many Honda's, a CB77, 3 '78 Honda CX500's, 1 Honda GL650I,
1 BMW R100RT, 1 Honda CX500 Turbo, a Honda CX500 Custom parts bike,
a 1979 Honda CB750 that I failed to finish and I may have forgotten some.....
My son-in-law(he is a rider for sure) picked up a 1978 CB750F2 that has not ran
for 5 years, a very nice bike, pics later. My job is to get it running for him.
New tires, new brakes, some cosmetic and she should be ready to run.
The good, the bike has been stored in a very nice garage full of show cars,
this bike is very clean and beautiful. I have never worked on a CB750 but
I am sure I can handle the job. All parts are ordered but there is one problem...
How do I get the gas tank off???
20180517_190240_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
If its got a lot of miles pay attention to oil usage. The F2 was hard on valve guides and there is the potential for the top valve retainers failing and dropping a valve. Should just be the rubber mount at the back under the seat that you move around to pop it off the tank then it will pull back and off the bike.

The bike has about 13,000 miles on it. Seems to have been well cared for.
Thanks for the heads up on the engine, we know nothing about the CB750's
I was looking for a bolt at the back of the tank like all my other Hondas.
The fuel line attaches to the back of the petcock, any tricks on that.
Seems hard to remove that line???
I guess it was not my day, I was putting the bike on the center stand
and it got away grom me. Leaned over against my sand blast cabinet
and cracked the windshield, I cried, first wreck and it does not even run.
Later I was warming lunch in the micro-wave and my lunch exploded,
just not my day.

no bolt on the back of the 750 tanks. Fuel line more then likely just hard, nothing special in how it attaches

Thanks for the help, better to ask than to break something or do something silly.
Hope to start the bike next week. Doing brakes and tires next week also.

I've been struggling on a 76 CB750F SS reboot for a while. I have several posts in electrical. Still can't get taillights to work. What a fun bike to ride though, and comfortable too

Thanks for the help, better to ask than to break something or do something silly.
Hope to start the bike next week. Doing brakes and tires next week also.

Chances are the rubber at the rear of the tank will break. Once they get hard and dry they usually break when removing the tank. After lifting the rear of the tank a few inches, just move it side to side while pulling back, it has the two pins with rubber bushings on either side of the frame like many others you've already seen.

Good news is, the seat will hold the tank in place even if the rubber breaks. More good news is you can find a new replacement fairly cheap.

Right you are, the rubber is in pieces, ordering a new one.
As for electrical, I aam no help. I always struggle with electrical.
I look at electrical same as plumbing, probably leaking some where.

My tires arrived, the front is 1 year old and the rear is 2 years old.
A little disappointed in the 2 year old "new" tire. Is this old tire
a normal thing??? The tires on the bike are 13 years old and look
like new.

Where should I look for the tank rear rubber support???

Where should I look for the tank rear rubber support???

Online? (snicker)

Well first you check https://www.cb750supply.com/ (the guy who hosts this forum) I looked though, He doesn't carry this particular part.

First result I found is http://cart.hondanuts.com/Gas-Tank-Rubber-Rear-Mount-Honda-CB750-OEM-P4004817.aspx

Bikebandit is a favorite around here though I've never used them myself. https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/17613-399-000/b601792?m=151836&sch=401637

I hope you didn't throw yours away, make sure it's the right one as they vary enough one type don't fit the next.

And... WTF did you get tires from? I take mine to the shop and have new tires installed, same as a car.

My tires came from Bike Bandit, brake parts from Partzilla, brake pads from partsgiant.
In the past 7 years I have mounted lots of bike tires, the hard way. My local dealers
never have the type and sizes I need and the prices are awful.
The tank rubber is still on the bike, I need to look and ee how bad it is but I think it
is in pieces. I will start on the CB750 on Monday, I hope. Trying to clear 2 small projects
out of the shop before I scatter the CB all over the place.
The key to mounting tires is to have a good lubricant and the right words.
Tires speak different languages you know.

My local dealers
never have the type and sizes I need and the prices are awful.

Ah well, I'm in CA and there's bike dealers and shops all over the place. You just go scout them and find one with several 70's and 80's for sale and tire machine in the corner.

The key to mounting tires is to have a good lubricant and the right words.
Tires speak different languages you know.

I know this language, it's universal. Cars, computers, plumbing, anything inanimate, they all require these words from time to time.

https://www.cmsnl.com
Honda parts fiche. Very handy

I love that sight. Online fiche is right, and not just Honda. That is my go to site when I need to "see" a part.

Pretty much all the online honda dealers that sell parts have the same online fiche. Everybody has their place I go to hondapartshouse.com

I'm back.....Making some progress on the bike, taking the tank to the body shop for a dent repair, gonna need a new tank support rubber piece. Spark plugs are stuck tight, sprayed with penetrant, try again tomorrow until they come loose, the up side is she has spark.
Should I start it on these old spark plugs and hope the heat loosen them up??? The starter sounds terrible???? The headlight doesn't come on, fuse??? Is there supposed to be a tool kit under the seat??? All I found is a wiping cloth and some insurance papers. Other than that it is a beautiful bike waiting to be ridden. Soon I hope. The engine side covers and other engine parts are chromed, is that original??? One more thing, the side stand is flopping around like a fish out of water. The bike leans extremely when parked on the side stand.bSeems like the bolt is broken. Can that be.?? Common??

Last edited:
Keep working with the penetrating oil, could very well be carboned up on the combustion chamber side if it burns oil. Hard to say on the starter, if it sounds like it catches then free spins then it is an issue with the starter clutch.

The starter is under the chrome cover under the carbs but the starter clutch is built onto the flywheel under the left side cover.

Back