• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Led dash coversion problems

Skelee

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I swapped my bulb to led. However, the indicator lights on dash wont come on. The signals work fine. The neutral and hi beam wont come on. The oil light wont shut off. I checked all the bulbs work

Try swapping the regular bulbs back in and see if everything works. If so, then I would think either the led are not compatible as is, someone swapped the housings and they are not original or you have the leds in wrong. You need the data sheets on the leds to see if they are exact replacements

I took close look at bulbs. On the wedge part the leds have wire on left and right for each side. Original only has wire on left. Could that be it?

I took close look at bulbs. On the wedge part the leds have wire on left and right for each side. Original only has wire on left. Could that be it?

Not sure what you mean by wedge part, nor do I know what LEDS you are using. A link, picture, product name, data sheet or something technical is needed. But in short, that's likely the problem. The replacement bulbs will need to make contacts to the housings correctly for the circuits to function as they should. The peripherals in the schematics wired in series will effect each other if pins are now floating due to not being connected to the bulb or not having the correct wiring etc. I am currently looking for new turn signal housings for my bike but I am replacing stock components and I am having similar issues. Now I installed my headlight, my left blinker no longer works. Turn signal housing up front is busted though and until I fix that, all bets off trying to diagnose. Right now it seems like its the flasher, but the busted housing will mess everything up. Also, incorrect bulbs will mess with correct circuit operation. In my experience, restore everything to stock, get it working that way, then make upgrades that are meant to work. Why haven't you listed what product you are using? if you have a universal amazon/ebay led bulb, read through the product description thoroughly and verify it's compatible.

Last edited:
"This LED 24 bulb replaces a variety of traditional bulbs including 24, 2040 and 936 bulbs"

Not a wide range if you ask me, but hopefully the bulbs you are replacing are one of the above listed by the manufacturer. These are the instrument cluster bulbs you are replacing? It comes down to the contacts and if they are compatible or not. You said something about the LEDS having wires on left and right. Does that mean it has an additional contact that the original bulbs do not? Running lights should be mono filament and contain one circuit to power them. Id suspect the connections between the LED and the housings are incompatible. I have not gone into my instrument cluster yet but on my Nova, I have been in the cluster way more than I would like to admit. And at one point, I ran some custom connections because the wire traces were eroded. I would rig up some alligator clips with wires connected to them and clip the contacts of the bulbs with the contacts in the cluster housing to "force" connections to diagnose. Alligator clips are great because you can unclip them and connect the circuits in a different configuration easily. sure not to damage the contacts on the bulbs, they are generally malleable. Also, I sometimes will bend the contacts back and fold them onto themselves about 3-4 millimeters at the ends just to make the contact surface "larger" to ensure it contacts in the housings.

They "Replace", but they are not a "direct replacement".

Many circuits are designed to work with the lamp providing a specific load. LED's have much lower loads so the circuit won't work right.

Down at the bottom of the page you linked to you'll find a load resistor but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I use LEDs for my turn signals but not for my dash lights or indicator lamps. For just the turn signals I had to swap the old flasher out for a LED flasher and rewire the indicator lamp circuit (I have only 1 lamp for both blinkers).

I also use an LED brake lamp. It flashes 3 times then stays on steady. I got all my LED's from Superbright too.

I posted about it all here http://www.cb750.com/threads/813-LED-Lighting-conversion?p=6000&viewfull=1#post6000

I swapped the bulbs to original. Everything works. Looking closer i think bulbs are a slight mismatch. The led external wires are closer to the centre, not making contact. Fi Hard to see, sorry. I think original is a 194.
4da469b3474f3dd3e67bf4ec4ddf8df0.jpg

You can always modify the contacts of the leds with solder and conductive material to make it work. Might have to get creative

Oh, cool! Thanks for the picture. Never seen a Canadian version of the cluster. (I am a noob to these bikes tho)

I'm curious, is the odometer KM or Miles?

After thinking more about it, I believe every one of the indicator lamps is controlled by a simple mechanical switch so the electrical load shouldn't make a difference.

When you figure out a mod that works, or a different bulb that fits correctly, let us know, I'll add the info to my post on LED conversions.

Back