• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Problem with Carbs maybe ?

JV202

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi there fellow CB750 enthousiasts

I did full restauration on a 1983 CB750SC Nighthawk See pictures.
I did everything and went throught everything except removing the cylinder head from the engine.
Everything else is brand new or rebuilt, including the carbs (rebuild)

I have been driving for a week now since it's finish and wow, it's incredible (300 miles alone that week) 20180206_153722.jpg20180422_142910.jpg20180206_153722.jpg20180422_142910.jpg.
Today, I went on a ride with my girlfriend for the first time, we left Sherbrooke my hometown and we were planing on going to Newport VT.
We stopped in coaticook for a coffee real quick and then back on the road, and then as I was doing 45 mph it happen.

I twist the throtle and the engine feels like it's choking, no power.
I grab the clutch and try giving some gas, nothing it's trying to rev up but it can't and suddently engine dies.
While going now 30mph i let go the clutch, engine starts on compression, but the moment i grap the clutch it dies.
I pull on the side of the road try to start it, engine turn and fire but wont start. Maybe air ? THe pods seem fine. I'm clueless. We get of the bike and check everything.

I look and see that the valve cover gasket has been leaking a lot, maybe its not thigh enought ?
I got no cell reception and we sit on the side of the road waiting for someone to come by.
10-15 minutes goes by, no one comes.

I get up and try starting the bike.

It starts right up.... mainting a nice idle and all.

I just don't understand

We get back on the bike and decide to go home,

about 14 miles later, same exact thing happen

We wait 10 minutes the bike start again

18 miles later about 1 mile before home... again same thing.

I took the carbs out, that i had freshly rebuilt and i could'nt find anything

Anyone ever had a similar experience ?

Could be the coils or pulsers. I've had coils work fine when the bike is cold, but not when warmed up. I don't know much about the pulsers, but I have read they can fail erratically.
When it comes to old bike, most carb problems are electrical.

Good call, it was one of the coils, i replaced both just to be sure and it worked thanks a lot !

Back