• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Updating Reg/Rec for a Lithium Battery

chauer89

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey,

An un-informed person on electrics here. I've read it's necessary to update your regulator/rectifier to a modern compatible one when replacing your battery with a modern lithium one. I've got an 80' 750k and bought an antigravity 8-cell. (https://shop.antigravitybatteries.c...es/small-case/ag-801/comment-page-1/#comments)

I'm curious to know if this reg/rect should be compatible with the new battery. (https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Lithium-Ion-Battery-Compatible-Rectifier-Regulator-14_103)

I called antigravity and they said the voltage required for the battery is 12V and the reg/rect has a voltage set point of 14V +/- .2. Will this reg/rect work?

Well from what I researched, a BMS or battery management system is needed. If you have an alternator, regulator/rectifier then you have a "BMS" lithium ion battery manufacturers are trying to capitalize on revenue. They wont say, "not compatible with X style charging systems" because X wont buy their product. I think the older style bikes equipped with kick starters, points and perhaps no alternator (someone correct me if im wrong here) would be the style charging system that would drain the battery.

The $105 rectifier that you linked is probably equipped with better components than were available 40 years ago, I would try purchase it. I think most charging systems are set at 13.5 V where that one is set to 14 V. So it seems to keep the battery charged slightly higher. It likely will be a more efficient component. The LiFePO4 batteries seem to offer lots of electrical "torque" they are great engine starters and will get warm after frequent cranking due to their delivery of electrical current. They are much stronger crankers that AGM batteries, but they down side is heat/drainage. Your regulator/rectifier will charge it back up in it's stock form. That upgraded rectifier might make it better.

Do I have a lithum battery? yes. Did I upgrade my regulator/rectifier? no. Does it crank and power all loads? yes. Does the battery drain after a few rides? no. Is my engine stock? yes. Cranks right up like no signs of drainage. Did I also purchase the correct LiFePO tender? yes

no problem....im no expert on these matters but I'm simply walking the same path as you all trying to upgrade my moto.

Back