• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Dyna ignition issue

Usarmyguy91

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I just installed a new wiring harness on my 78cb750 and a an electronic ignition. And when I hook the test light up to the blue or yellow wire coming from the coil the light stays illuminated. The wiring for the coils seems so simple where could I of messed up???

Have you corrected this ??
Had a similar issue ( dyna sucks)
Timing plate was off slightly then completely. Lots of trouble with dyna and their components. 1st set didn’t last more than a few months.
Also found it frustrating to get the timing right. Had to do it by trial , error and test rides. Timing light wasn’t helpful( and I have a good one ). Good luck. Could be the pick up is bad. Tap wth small wrench or something with test light attached

The timing plate design is not a good one, the pickups are too close in to center to be able to adjust hardly at all. Tapping on a pickup there would be one of the worst things to do I would think.

All I run is Dyna, never had an issue and never had issue with adjusting timing. Been running them for close to 20 years never had a failure, street bike or drag bike.

The dyna plate might be flipped over. I went rounds with their testicle support years ago. I couldn’t move one side far enough to properly time. I thought I was going to have to drill new holes for the pick up, and finally flipped the gotdam plate face down and voila! I spent a couple weeks dicking with dyna t/s back and forth. They never could admit that they were at fault. I’ve never bought another since!

The difference in SOHC and DOHC Dyna is that the unit runs in hot oil on DOHC and why they fail so much. On the latter there are hundreds of reports of it.

I ran the OEM pulsers on DOHC and used GM HEI units as the ignitors to lower cost and fire a .060" gap if wanted. I used coils off of Baretta car as well. I preferred the OEM setup as the pulsers are widely mounted and easy to move to get what you want, the index markings were very precise as well. And the OEM pulsers fit the resistance and output range the GM modules wanted, the OEM pulsers hardly ever fail in the hot oil either.

The DOHC guys also had fits with the later Dyna 2000 boxes, they tended to blow them out too. Enough that on the CB1100F.net site almost anybody running them had repeat fails with the replacements ones sent by Dyna. They simply ran too hot and I never heard of them getting a firm handle on it.

That GM setup I came up with outfired Accel coils so bad I dumped brand new Accel with maybe 30 minutes use on them. If I ran it again now I might use a Ford Focus zetec coilpack instead, it is somewhat more compact and mounts on a flat plate easy. The Baretta coils were bigger but still fit under tank nicely after you made up a bracket for the pair. The Ford unit is one part with twin waste spark coils built into it. It fires a .060" gap and forever with no issues.

Back