• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Gear shift gets stuck intermittingly on downshifting, why???

750slasher

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So my gear shift likes to "hang up" or gets stuck when down shifting, mainly from 2nd to 1st. It's very intermittent. So, as if I'm in 2nd, I try to down shift and it doesn't want to go in 1st, if anything, it wants to go down to neutral, if you try again, doesn't want to go into 1st. Almost like is "lost" or something. I have to try 3 or 4 times before it wants to go into 1st. Also I notice that gear shift has no "spring" when this issue arises. Is the return spring on the shift mechanism failing or something? Something wrong with the shift drum? Clutch issue?

Like I said, very random it happens. Other than that, the bike shift perfectly every time without issue. I just wish I could re-create the issue on command to pinpoint the exact cause, less tail chasing.

Has anyone had this issue? How did you fix it?

I feel like if it was the clutch, I would feel slippage or stickiness, this feels like something in the shifting mech, maybe something worn or a random burr. Really weird, any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable? My neighbor was over and he mentioned something about, "over time as the clutch starts to wear, you'll want to adjust the cable slightly to make up for any change from normal operation". This is assuming the clutch is still somewhat functioning as it sounds in your case. I would start with a cable adjustment. If that still yields no improvement or gets worst, then I would think it's time to open the clutch side cover and even remove/inspect the clutch. On my old dirt bike, I had an issue with a worn out clutch. Even after replacing all friction discs and plates, it ultimately was the wear in the clutch basket that made the new discs stick. I had to get a nice clean, sharp, fine flat file and file down the "grooves" imprinted into the basket teeth on all surfaces. Take it down a few thousands until the surface is smooth. Other than that, going inside the clutch is easier than going inside the engine. Usually there are some spring loaded bolts that will require a specific torque, then once inside the clutch basket, you need to keep the order/orientation of each disc. Soak them in oil also. On my CR250R there were two different style discs that alternated inside the basket. They grab into the clutch basket and make a nasty indent over the years. Nothing will every remedy this. But its a great starter project to tackle if you have the mechanical aptitude/tools. Grab a Clymers repair manual and read the clutch chapter. You'll definitely need the resource.

Back