• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Kick start question

cad1978

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Im new to the forum and I have what is probably a dumb question to most of you that are far more knowledgeable about these older bikes. I wanted to know did the 1978 Honda cb750k Four come stock with the electric start and the kick start? Or was it kickstart only? Because when I got it it was kick start only and Ive been reading that kick starting it too much can damage it and if its able to have electric start I would like to have it. Thank you in advance for any help I receive

Yes all the sohc had both. Starter is under the chrome cover on the case directly under the carbs. There is also a idler gear and starter clutch under the left side alternator cover. You will have to do some investigation to see what is there and what you are missing.

Right on guy's thank you I really appreciate your help. I bought the book on the bike and have been doing all the work on it myself to learn as much as I can but this forum is worth its weight in gold. Thank you again gonna do some digging

The only damage I've ever seen from kick starting a cb750 is a bent side stand.

That's because mine has a cheap aftermarket chrome side stand and my legs are too short to hold the bike up while kick starting it ;)

Cracked side covers, worn side covers, the ratchet assembly inside will start slipping, bent or twisted off kickstart shafts all have been known to happen. The shafts are weak, the side cover has no bushing or bearing so the shaft wears directly on the soft aluminum side cover. The ratcheting system for the kickstart is fairly weak especially when you get into bigger bore motors, if it starts to slip and not catch you have to split the cases to do any repairs. The kickstart on these was only meant as a backup for the electric start because at the time people still didnt 100% trust the electric start systems of the era.

I feel for you and your height limitations 😂. I've had the bike about a year and its my daily driver and I tell ya what buddy I have a year worth of bruises on my knee to prove it lol. Im definitely looking forward to hooking up this electric start lol

Yes sir thats the same thing I read when I was researching I looked under the chrome plate and the starter is there and its running to the solenoid now I just got to see if it still works I dont know why someone would delete the electric start if it works but Ive been reading a lot of people do it makes no sence to me Im too damn old to be kickstarting and my knee needs a break from slipping off the kickstand lol

Back