• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

So Dumb questions about 81 front end brakes.

Mikegg2643

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to working on Motorcycles. I bought an 81 from a buddy of mine a few months ago and have been slowly working on restoring it. I took the front caliper off because I was getting a squeaking noise from it when I was just rolling, When i engaged the brake it was fine. Well, I then couldnt get the damn thing to go back on. So I bled the brake line and have the caliper sitting on my table trying to get it to come apart. I having a hell of a time. More to the point, Would it almost better to get some other after market front end brake caliper to use on this bike, I found another for 57 bucks but it is seized as well and would need a rebuild. So, Is there a different solution to getting a new front end caliper for this bike or no?

I have been looking myself for a '79 Limited.
The short answer is no.

Long answer:
From what I can tell, we would need to add the "ears" to mount the caliper. Then you need to check the rotor size etc. I doubt there is much aftermarket available for our limited years (79-82).

OR find a set of forks. I think I have seen Honda CBR front forks. However, If you want to keep the OEM triple tree, you will need to find the ones that fit the holes.

I think what others do is find a set of forks with headlights and handlebars that mount in the frame. Again, need to find what bearing setup size would work. I haven't looked too far into that either.

I hope that was useful. :p

Most of the time with for swaps they use the triples that come with the donor forks and swap the steering stem from the honda into the new triples. The stock brakes are more then adequate, use good brake pads make sure slides and pistons move free, upgrade the brake lines to stainless. Keep new fluid in the system helps feel and performance greatly. I flush system every couple years to make it feel nice and firm.

So good news. Managed to do a rebuild on these brakes. Granted im using the old piston. Managed to clean it up enough and threw in a new seal. It held pressure with no leaks. re-assembled it and tested it out and held beautifully

Back