• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Smoking... Then not... Then again...

farmerfalconer

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi folks, first post here.

I'm driving home to NC from Utah at the moment and I'm considering a spur of the moment purchase of a motorcycle in the Wichita KS area. I'd prefer to drive it home rather than trailer it.

The bike is a 1979 10th Anniversary Honda CB750. Here is a link to the ad for pics:

https://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1979-cb750/6560640511.html

The guy selling it says he has had it a little over a month and never ridden it. Claims he just tinkers with bikes for fun (as do many of us of course).

After I put a new battery in it (bought the battery in faith) it started up just fine without any hesitation. The body is in decent shape, not a ton of rust. Wiring harness looks mint. Gas tank look clean. BUT, it smoked pretty well when he first started it up (off jumper cables). Grey/white smoke. An hour later after installing the new battery we fired it up again. No smoke... But only for maybe 2 minutes and then it started smoking again.

He doesn't want me to test ride it unless I leave him with the money (which seems a bit uptight but oh well) so I had him run it around a bit for me. We added a touch of seafoam to the gas before hand and it started smoking even heavier.

So... What are everyone's thoughts?

Is this thing worth $850 (agreed upon price)?
Would you drive it to NC from Kansas if you had a support vehicle near by?
I'd plan to "cafe it up" a bit.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Cody

I prefer to ride mine home. I am not sure how far you're going.
If it smokes more on overrun (let off the gas in gear) - IIRC this is valve seals.
If it smoke on acceleration - IIRC this is rings. If it's rings, I would probably not ride it home.

I would want the tires to be in good shape, little to no cracks and good tread (check the date code). I would want the engine to "feel good". It should have good acceleration.
I would want the brakes to at least MOSTLY work. I have ridden a 2005 GSXR1000 home with NO front brakes... they were fork seal oil soaked. I shouldn't have done that. It was only 5 miles though.

Good luck.

I just got a 1979 CB750L too. It has some oil and grease around it, but not much rust. 15k miles. I got it for under $2k.

Back