• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1983 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk Gas Tank Swap

nickrafacosta

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello to all, new to this forum, recently got my hands on a '83 Nighthawk with a '82 DOHC engine in it, and since the bike isn't in the greatest condition I think it would be a perfect opportunity to customize it. First off I want to get rid of the teardrop looking 30550889_10156563075669880_841680553_o.jpg tank for something a bit....nicer (hope that doesnt offend anyone, just my preference) and I was wondering if there were any gas tanks from the same era that would fit right on without any major modifications, hoping one of the 750 Supersport tanks of the same year can fit on directly.
Nick

No tank directly interchanges, the mounting points change up on the frames.

Everybody wants the tank that 'goes right on' except of course it can't be the same one. Why does human nature want that which is different but then they do not want the difference that comes with it? LOL, often the beginning of the end for many, many bikes.

The tanks also fit the side covers if you have them and no others match those either. The side cover mountings are all over the map. The seat fronts match the tank rears as well in angle.

20170527_101357.jpg20170716_091400.jpg20170716_091527.jpg

Before and after pictures of my upgrade. Someone else can identify exactly what model, but I remember it was from a 1980 cb750. I think it was a "K" tank. But if fit like a glove with 0 modifications. Perhaps I can cut the side panel mounting tabs off each side since I am no longer using side panels and the big "O" on each side of the tank looks redundant for my build aesthetics. But even the awkward upward angle of the tank mounting location to the frame was ultimately OK. My new seat mates up to the tank/frame at the imaged location nice and snug. Easier than I first imagined. My suggestion is to have a welder and angle grinder available or accessible. Then you can confidently choose the tank you want to go with and any mods that you feel need to be done, just work them into the build. Try and avoid cutting major factory welds from the frame etc. keep thinking of way around major mods and you'll eventually think of a solution. In my case, I definitely went with another 750 tank from a close year that was what I was looking for visually. Those "F" tanks are overpriced and you end up with a bike like EVERYONE else....my 2 cents

Back