• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Melted CDI 750 F2

johnb

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 750 F2...It doesn't go out very often. Last time I took it out I had a problem with it missfiring...it stalled and the battery ran flat. Stuck in a new battery and limped home. I tole a couple of parts for another bike, but yesterday I decided it was time to get it back into action.

While I was replacing the borrowed parts I discovered the CDI was covered in really sticky resin. I'm assuming its leaked out from the unit and the unit has burnt out. However, I still get a spark, but cant get the bike to run for more than a moment or twwo.

My question is, is the sticky resin from the CDI? what would make this happen? Will it even give spark if it's in the condition it appears to be in? Should I just buy a second hand replacement?

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

JohnB

Check the other one to see if it is the same sticky.

If like the much earlier ones Honda used a potting compound that melted too easy and like tar. It would easily melt but coated so well that even melted to mostly drip out the spark boxes still worked fine. It created enough doubts though that the compound got changed to something that would not melt out. Dunno why they would go back there again years later.

Back