• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Idle adjusting

Skelee

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I went for a short ride, i adjusted the idle. about 1200 rpm. After i went for a longer ride, i noticed the rpms at 2500 when I stopped at red light in neutral. If i adjust the idle again, rpms are too low when cold start. ?? should i be checking anything else. I also noticed rpms at 5000 rpm at 100km/hr (62 miles)

'...rpms are too low when cold start.'

Normal, today's modern biker with an electronically idle controlled car doesn't get that. You adjust for hot idle only and you have to keep engine running while cold with your hand. A learned biker skill. You absolutely cannot set both to work correctly at the same time. You don't want cold idle at the dead low speed anyway, the engines lube a lot of parts by splash and a higher erratic cold idle as set by hand lets the cold parts get more splash oil to live longer. A cold idle set at stone cold and low can tear up the engine.

So if I go for long ride get it nice and hot, then set idle, I should be good. My normal start up is, choke on fire it up,wait a min, turn choke off slowly and warm it up with throttle. I usually let it idle as i gear up etc. I checked and throttle snaps back when i let go throttle. Need some nicer weather but I am loving the ride. thanks AMC

Back