• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Swing arm bearing supplies dried up

750SuperSport

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I need new needle bearings for my swing arm on an ‘80 750 super sport and I can only find one supplier on eBay from the United Kingdom that has them. Anywhere in the states have any? The more I dig it’s just impossible to find them elsewhere. Makes me nervous about any other parts I’ll need.
Thanks
Caleb

Take a look at the end of the bearing. There should be a series of numbers and perhaps letters This is an international code that's is on all bearings. Google that number and you should finds loads of places selling them. It's nothing special just a run of the mill needle roller bearing.

Unfortunately the bearings were destroyed upon removal. To say that they were practically welded to the inside of the swingarm is an understatement. So I have no numbers to go off of :shrug:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB75...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Zoom the pic bigger to find the number or TA2428Z, a 24X31X28 mm. size needle bearing and Amazon can get them as well as others according to a search.

One may likely need the seal and bushing that go with that bearing too.

FYI, not all of the bearings the bikes used are available, a couple at least were specially modded by Honda to fit the engines specifically and are not available anywhere on the planet if Honda parts does not have them. Thinking one off each end of a transmission shaft. The other end can be got anywhere.

AMC, you’re are proving yourself as a living manual for these bikes :wink2: thank you!

So how do these motorcycle shops do complete rebuilds if there are no bearings available? Seems like that would be a quick end to a project.

I see. I’m sure I’m asking an open ended question, but let’s say whatever that bearing is you are referring to, does go bad....you’ve got the bad bearing out and there is no re using it..... so that means it’s time to look for a donor transmission??

I suppose. Ebay and your lucky day might ease that, I've bought entire trans double shafts with all gears and bearings for $35 before although it was back a ways. IIRC, it's the smaller needle on either end that is the unobtanium one, there is a slot cut in it that you will find on nothing and thinking the size is a bastard one not made for anything else. The big ball bearings are still available.

Is this bearing something I should expect to go bad “soonish” or are the generally good?

Again, I’ve got to give you credit for your knowledge of these bikes. Thanks for the info.

They usually last, it's the big ones that are on the heavy loaded end of the shaft that are available and likely to fail first. Why the others are smaller, less load there.

Back