• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fitting exhaust cam chain

Changed my oil on my Frontier and the oil was sludgy due to neglect. At the same time i found an oily solution in my radiator overfill tank. So i paniced and bought a head gasket kit. The day before i installed it, i took it to the Nissan dealer and they identified the stuff in my radiator is transmission fluid and my transmission/radiator need replacing asap, $6000! Did some more research and found the factory radiators had defects from 2006-2010 and Nissan screwed thousands of customers over this issue. The fix is to bypass the tranny fluid from routing through the radiator and simply route it to the external transmission cooler only. Flushed my radiator, blew out the old tyranny fluid in the cooler lines and capped them off. This easy fix came to me over a week of driving and researching. Cost was $30 in replaced coolant. The tranny fluid looked perfect and shows no signs of malfunction while driving. I caught and fix mine in time. Hundreds of others werent as lucky and had to bite the $6k dealer silver bullet on their prized "Japanese" pickups with no forseen future catastrophies because its a japanese vehicle....bs....my next truck will likely be American made. Local mechanic quoted me $700 for radiator replace and tranny flush. If i do anything else, it will be a tranny drain and fill or have the dealer do the factory flush but many had shifting problems after the flush. Google SMOD, or strawberry milkshake of death....

You are reminding me to do mine. I pretty much convert away from liquid to liquid ATX cooling on every car I have at some point once they begin to accumulate time. Some I have to add the cooler as there is no air one. The modern radiators just don't last at the intercoolers as long as they used too and it is a common fail on almost every brand of vehicle. My other 3 are already done and only one to do now.

I'd be all over the trans dipstick for the next week or 2 until you are sure you missed the bullet there.

X3..............I know engines of all types forward and backward and I have to walk away at times as well. The time separate spent thinking only often produces a cure by the time I get back.

Don't get mad, get smarter.

Hi again, I have, at last, sorted out the problems with the exhaust cam and chain. Ah! the sweet taste of success! I also found a an easier way of getting the cam sprocket with the chain on to the cam. Assemble cam and chain as per manual to the point where the problem starts. Using a 6mm screw (the bolts are 7mm, an unusual size) around 50mm long thread it through the cam from the #4 cylinder end, wriggle the screw about until it goes through the sprocket hole. Then add a washer and nut. Next tighten the screw holding the nut, the sprocket will gradually move onto the cam shoulder. It may need some persuasion with a soft hammer but it will eventually sit in the correct place. Then as per manual turn the crankshaft so as to access the second hole, insert the correct bolt as normal and snug down. The sprocket may need some wiggling to line up the holes, turn the crank back, remove the screw etc. and fit the 2nd bolt. Remember to thread lock the bolts and recheck the timing marks. :thumbsup:

Vividly remember, when I was tearing it down thinking... "that sprocket is gonna be a bitch to put back on"....cheers for the tip đź‘Ť

Hi gentlemen I own ACB 750 custom it is a chopper now I am rebuilding the motor from the bottom up I have now reached the ham chain Dean and like the other comments I'm having an issue it will not go on the sprocket and the sprocket be tightened down if I don't know what's going on I have the attention off I am constantly kind of like tugging on it I do not want to take that head apart for the 3rd time It's given me hell for sure and Hi gentlemen I own ACB 750 custom it is a chopper now I am rebuilding the motor from the bottom up I have now reached the ham chain Dean and like the other comments I'm having an issue it will not go on the sprocket and the sprocket be tightened down if I don't know what's going on I have the attention off I am constantly kind of like tugging on it I do not want to take that head apart for the 3rd time It's given me hell for sure and and I'm kind of scratching my head and throwing wrenches if someone could please tell me or explain to me how it's not a newsletter up. I'm just not understanding why it won't give and go back on. I've completely rebuilt bottom up. Did everything myself. Custom paint, welding, jockey shit yet not yet on. I'm at a dead stop. Been 6 days. This is my first build. Please help this daim.

Sorry 1976 cb 750 k custom build now ridged cam chain is so tight. It fit before the rebuild HELLLLLP! SAME ISSUE

Sorry 1976 cb 750 k custom build now ridged cam chain is so tight. It fit before the rebuild HELLLLLP! SAME ISSUE
This is a different engine then the original post. Is it a new chain? different tensioner? The sohc are normally very easy to install the chain once you have the cam in the towers.

Back