• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

SOHC VS DOHC

WilderStewart

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking into bikes and i see plenty of cb750's pop up. Most of which are DOHC models. I have mechanical experience and electrical work is a breeze(as much as it can be) for me. I am leaning towards a DOHC bike, partially because Im used to DOHC's and there more tune-able. Just looking for some one else's advice. Also styling isn't an issue as it is going to be modified anyways.

A ton more performance parts out there for the sohc, ton more aftermarket support for them. The sohc has proven itself extremely reliable and long lasting. I wouldn't say the dohc is really more tune able especially with the pos carbs they come with. Im not saying the dohc is bad it is a good motor but if I had a sohc 750 and a dohc 750 sitting side by side and got to choose which one to take home I am grabbing the sohc.

Yes sohc! There more parts for them now than when I race one years ago. It would be hard for me to turn down a CB1100F.

the DOHC are only cheap because of all the troubles they have. And they do not have the looks of the SOHC. I usually draw the line at DOHC. And SOHC have been the number one collectible bike for 30 years.

The carbs really are crap, and harder to adjust to get to work with performance parts . They have ignition issues with the igniters. Regulator problems. They can be made to run well with aftermarket parts though. Cycle X is coming out with some nice parts for them.

Back