• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Swap a V&H pipe for stock pipe

Blakhawk

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 92 Nighthawk750 with a vance and hines 4-1 pipe and want to swap it for a stock pipe. anyone interested. I'm in SoCal.

If it is the megaphone type pipe the centerstand goes right on the bike. Just a FYI, yours and do as you will..........you should lose a bit of power though. If the race type pipe the pipes tend to crack pretty quick anyway, nobody ever changes up the mounting method to save that from happening. They need a separate middle mount cobbled up to stop vibration cracking the header tubes at the collector. Big issue with that one.

It's one big megaphone on the right side. I assumed the centerstand was off it because of the VandH pipe goes under the engine/frame and there was an interference issue, could be wrong. I'm looking for a centerstand and will modify it if necessary, not sure. If I can't get a stock pipe, i might just sell the bike cause I don't like the v and h, too loud. Tried to quiet it down, added some fiberglass cloth to the existing core, didn't help much. I live in SoCal, these bikes come up for sale all the time. I had a '93 with stock pipes that I modded. They sounded great, not too loud, but a cager pushed me over and her insurance totaled the bike. I use the Honda for around town, and ride my BMW for any distance or for freeways.

You know what bud?..............I snapped that off across the top of my head and I could easily be wrong, I realize now I was thinking of another model when I said that. I do know the race pipes tend to force the center going away and the mega since intended more as a street pipe generally doesn't overall on a lot of models but I cannot say 100% for sure on that one.

You should though be able to quiet the bike down with the standard 4 inch can-those normally can fit other baffle types to shut it up and I've done it on others to almost as quiet as the OEM pipes, which modded are actually generally louder as the two outputs are like that. One output folds the two together and then they force each other to shut up more, it's a collision sound reduction thing. On the VH I'd be looking at reducing the baffle inside diameter to smaller, it gives more glass room and the smaller core is quieter too. I use like an oldschool Kerker street baffle (1 3/4" diameter IIRC) and it is pretty quiet at off the throttle and normal driving with just the right amount of noise at WFO and that with zero packing in it at all. I can make it almost so quiet by packing it I cannot hear it at faster speeds where the air rushing past helmet overpowers the exhaust noise. It does cost some noticeable torque loss like that though.

I'm back.................go here..............

https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/honda/14007/

and the install instructions are available on that page but says pipe is not legal in SoCal..........the centerstand stays but like most the exhaust provided the up stop for it and you need to make one up and usually easy to do.

The Dennis Kirk catalog shows a pic of the exact bike with the header on it and the pic shows the stand on it if you look close.

No worries amc49- you're right, i checked the kirk catalog and with the magnifier app could see a center stand on there. kirk didn't have one, though. i am going to look for one on ebay. it's funny that pipe can't be used in CA, cause v and h is right up the freeway from me, about a 20 minutes ride. My son lives in NRH there in TX. KTRSD

Centerstands pretty much OEM only and ebay your friend, a tab to limit it is easily made and bolted to one of the frame extensions and bent to suit looks and function.

Yeah, so many illegal in CA products are based there and funny isn't it?

I found an OEM pipe on ebay for a what seemed like a good price, until I went to the checkout and saw that shipping cost more than the pipe! There are several bike dismantlers in metro Los Angeles and I'm going to check them out, too. CA has the toughest emission laws of the lower 48, but they don't inspect or test bikes, yet, anyway.

Back