• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can’t remove head

Longer

CB750 Member
Reaction score
1980cb k - I’m removing the head but the cam chain tensioner has a mounting bracket secured to the top of it, which is the only thing stopping the head from coming off. The mounting bracket is secured to the tensioner and I see no option but to cut the mount as I will be replacing the tensioner anyways - Anybody have an idea of how to avoid cutting? Or why would Honda set it up this way? I have pictures but can’t upload from my phone.

This is looking from the top down 1.jpg

And the other is from the rear of the head2.jpg

Thanks AMC - In the tech doc's it shows that top piece being separated from the tensioner, but in my case it seems to be all one piece. Maybe I'm just not pulling hard enough?! haha

Maybe there's some sort of adhesive holding that top piece to the rest of the tensioner?!?

Why is "tensioner" always coming up under spellcheck?!? lol

Last edited:
On the front there is another two bolts (between the head and the cylinders) ... maybe you forgot that ...

Sure, that was my first mistake! You can see that the top bracket of the tensioner straddles the head, which is stopping it from coming off. I can't pull it to the side, or pull it off. There must be some trick to separate this top bracket from the tensioner, but I'm stumped as it looks like all one piece. I don't want to cut until I get a few ideas!

Do you remove the two rear chain tensioner lock nuts?
Because following the manual... you are on that point.

As @amc49 said, when all pieces unbolt to let the head come off easily.

Yes those are off but the bolts don't "push out". The manual shows the tensioner being in as the head comes off. So I believe it's just the top piece of that tensioner that has to come off. I don't think the entire tensioner assembly can come out.

Mmmm So....

Sorry, I can't help more... The only thing, but sure you did, is try to identify if this piece is welded or fixed with glue or something to the tensioner... that piece is the most simple piece. I didn't had problems with it.

Sorry. Don't give up. And try to don't cut it. XD

Regards.

No worries at all my friend. I don't have a ton of mechanical experience but certainly believe there to be a better way to do this than cutting it.

**Resolved** After a one leg pull with pliers it still didn't budge. A little wedge in between the rubber and the main tensioner mechanism and it "unglued itself".

Back