• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Its alive! First start video.

Wez_

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Thanks primarily amc for all the help! The bike starts, runs and idles like a dream with only a bench sync. Stock head rebuild/clean/valve shim. Carburetors cleaned

The uneven at times and sounding a bit flat. It came and went. Maybe nothing, may just be new engine staggers. Many don't run exactly right at first depending on things like how much oil got used to assemble, that all has to burn out and settle down. If it keeps up then yank and check the plugs.

You get an ear for those things after hundreds of them. (engines of all types)

Well I threw in a set of ear buds and replayed the video a few times. From the above video, after 12 seconds of the video, the engine seems to warm up and the idle does drop at that point. My last observation was between 30 seconds and 45 seconds. During this time, the engine idle did seem slightly off and you can see me add a few squeezes of petro into the carbs. During my initial starts my make shift gas tank (squeeze bottle) was not supplying steady fuel to the carb/motor. The volume from the squeeze bottle is considerably less than that from a normal gas tank and the motor required periodic squeezes from the bottle to keep the motor running smooth. When the motor was starving for fuel, you could hear something off. Perhaps this is what you heard. Could you please tell me at what point in the video does it appear to misfire? Or does it sound off the whole time?

Tested compression this morning ICE cold in Connecticut: ( all 4 plugs were tan)

#1 = 110 psi
#2 = 110 psi
#3 = 135 psi
#4 = 135 psi

keep in mind the original condition of the heads, valves also 36000 miles on this $ 200 basket case. I hope I can get the carburetors synced and any "kinks" like misfires worked out before I tear it apart again and paint her up.

Please let me know if there is anything I can further do to gain peace of mind this motor is in decent running shape. I would hate to button this thing up, and consider her ready only to find out she needs to be opened up again.

Last edited:
Did you hold the throttle wide open when doing the compression test? All 4 plugs out? your numbers are pretty low.

This was ice cold with the engine oil not circulated. I understand 10% is the tolerance between cylinders but these cold numbers aren't horrible right?

Last edited:
They are better. Always suspect the tool you're using and run multiples of each cylinder. The more times you do the more firm the result becomes. Engine hot may come up a bit more. Suspect the lowest number if it is the last one taken and on the bike battery alone as well. Why I always use a car battery to do that, they don't run down nearly as fast as a bike one does with a lot of spinning. Car will work as long as the car is NOT RUNNING.

Back