• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1976 750F brake pedal is almost frozen

Chauncey Gardener

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm working my way through a motorcycle I received from a friend that's been parked for several years under cover. I don't know much about Hondas. The bike was high-sided and then parked. I'm wondering if the rear brake pedal has maybe a bushing or bearing in the frame because it moves very stiff. I've oiled it and I can get it to move a little bit but it should be pretty free. The spring is there. The shaft doesn't seem to be bent.

The problem can be there or in the brake drum on wheel itself. Disconnect the rod back at the drum and see which.

If it has a disc instead of drum brake then the master cylinder is likely froze up.

The problem can be there or in the brake drum on wheel itself. Disconnect the rod back at the drum and see which.

If it has a disc instead of drum brake then the master cylinder is likely froze up.
It's a disc. It's where the shaft goes through the frame. Everything is disconnected except the big return spring on the inside. Maybe it's just gummed up. WD and oil is helping it move better but it still gets stuck...

Disassemble it and clean the shaft and bore up. Once you have enough gunk in there to remove the clearance you otherwise will be working on it every time you turn around. The only real long term fix is to do that.

Disassemble it and clean the shaft and bore up. Once you have enough gunk in there to remove the clearance you otherwise will be working on it every time you turn around. The only real long term fix is to do that.
I will do that. My oiling the shaft did wonders. It moves easily now. But cleaning the hard gook that's on it is better for the long haul. Clean up the calipers. Then move to the front brakes. It's been sitting a long time.

Back