• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bike wont start

Skelee

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Battery is good. changed spark plugs. fuel on. ignition switch on. kill switch on. in neutral. clutch in. so it spins starter, i hear a bit of engine. starter spins really fast. any ideas? 82 NH 750

thanks

so i hit the button and bike started yesterday. i let it warm up. shut it off and it restarted. Today no go. i turn ignotion and get nothing when i press starter button. battery is on tender. i am thinking some wiring problen maybe.

If the battery will not pass a loadtest it is junk even if new.

The starter clutches are well known for loosening the 3 fixing screws to then slip, loctite them in place.

quick reply thanks. what my options? i guess i need it to start bike. do i buy new one or a kit. 82 nh 750
Search YouTube, there are plenty of videos showing how to fix it. First step it to take it apart, it may just be loose bolts.

Fix the starter clutch, the longer you keep insisting on trying it over and over the closer you come to ruining the 3 rollers and backing springs to never lock again. Pull cover and yank the clutch and retighten as well as loctite the screws, the oil MUST be gone off parts or the loctite does nothing. The threads must be bone dry and clean. You can stake the bolt heads down too once the bolts are really tight.

i pulled out starter clutch. rollers and spring good. 3 bolts were loose without any locktite. cleaning it all up. i will lock tite threads on re assembly. the crankcase gasket neebds replacing too. the tips of gear look great

They all pretty much do it, the bigger motors knock them loose quicker than spit.

Uh, to the curious.............never, NEVER try to whirl the assembly over as a quick check with the cover missing, the hollow gear axle pin will deflect and tear out a chunk of the case at the very least.

I reassembled everything. Battery is on charger. Fingers crossed for after work start up. If it starts, I need to take it to get safety for sticker and plates(Ontario). While i was working on the bike, I saw a green wire with plastic connector not connected to anything, i looked and cant't see if it should be? All the wires are connected in the solenoid. I will try take a pic.

If the green wire is up by the flasher it's unused. Some flasher types need an external ground on them and some don't use it. The difference in a two or three spade flasher.

The bikes came out right about the time the world was switching from the 3 pin to 2 pin flasher type and Honda was switching the type on some of them........

Back