• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1978 cb750k headlight bucket replacement

mrtelec

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I am getting a 1978 cb750k back up and running and I've removed the vetter fairing and am looking for a replacement headlight bucket and trim , some of the folks on ebay are pretty proud of their parts which is proven by the prices they are asking for their broke and missing part items.:) . What was the original size of the headlight bucket and what other models used the same size bucket ? I figure they used the same size buckets on many other models and years. Thanks for any help in advance

You might look at '79 and later ones, not that much different at all and they use a cheap 7 inch automotive type sealed beam which can be gotten anywhere. Should be cheaper too.

amc49 do you know what other bikes use the 7" bucket, did the 450,500,550, or 650 use the same bucket by chance. I see that the style of the 750 changed around 79 or 80. but will a 70 through 78 headlight bucket fit from a 750

The SOHC bucket may well fit 7 inch as I have a 550 that has one in it ('77) and thinking the shell may be the same as the 750 one.

Dirtdigger I Need the whole assembly with the trim ring,holder and screws, the ones I have come across on ebay were either missing pieces, cracked or pretty pricey, I keep looking there on my daily vigil :) for a good solid one for as little as possible. just spent my extra cash on a new wiring harness, throttle switch assembly (mine had burnt wires in it) fork ears, leds for dash and turn signals, and newer style rectifier to keep me busy while I'm laid off this month. By the way great site, I have been reading a ton of information here and it has helped me considerably with the wiring issues. I had been pulling my hair out till I saw that there is supposed to be a jumper from the black to the brown/blue wire.

Uh, provided one looks at the later ones be aware that some of the buckets are plastic, F ones are for sure. I got a Nighthawk one that is the same but steel.

Thanks for that heads up, I kept entering different searches for the bucket and trim and believe I have one lined up, put a decent bid on it and will see if I get it. I find that you have to try using different words in searching on ebay because sometimes people list things differently. ie 7" Honda headlight, 550 bucket 750 bucket. I also found you have to read the listing really well to find out if there are cracks or are missing screws or hardware which wind up adding to the price afterwards. I was ready to jump on a few but found out they had cracked housings or needed adjusting screws or hardware which would have upped the price another $15, which is not allot but As I mentioned we are off this month and The 4wd on my suburban took a dive so my cash is really tight for a few weeks.

I wouldn't recommend an automotive headlight because they are not designed to take the vibrations. I have first hand experience with this and you will find yourself on the side of the road with a blown fuse when it shorts out.

Thank you, but I did get the one on ebay that was complete in good shape with nothing missing . funny part is it wound up being only a few cities away from me

Uh, there is no difference in auto bulbs and m/c pretty much any longer. That was likely true on earlier things ('60s) but not now. I say that as well after running car bulbs for years with no abnormal issues at all. I ran automotive halogen headlight bubs in my bikes all through the '80s, I think I may have changed one.

If blowing them out I suggest looking at the mounting method, that is likely doing it.

Back