• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

engine rebuild on a 1982 honda cb750f

neslonayr

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello All

I have had the classic honda leaking front dive sprocket seal for a long time, and after several pretend fixes i have started pulling my engine apart to do it properly. And i want to do a little something to increase the power in someway, so thought i would hit up the geniuses floating around this neck of the woods and pick your brains.

I was looking at boring it out to an 823 or 836, these piston kits are floating around the place, does anyone have a recommended brand, or place to buy from. also, if anyone on here also lives in New Zealand, preferably Christchurch, any suggestions on where to get that work done well, as there are so many horror stories of poor work floating around.

I looked at new camshafts, but can only find sohc versions, has anyone found a good set for dohc engines? i have heard of people putting in the camshafts from the cb900, do they just swap straight in and work or is there very little point in chasing these down?

I was then told the cheapest best way to utilise the engine power was to advance the timing slightly through the distributor. as this makes better use of the power already available instead of just chasing more power.

If anyone has thoughts/ideas/advice on any of these thoughts, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps, Ryan from CHCH, New Zealand.

Here are some pictures of my bike pre tear down, (and yes i have been taking pictures at every stage to help with putting it all back together, they just arent loaded on my computer)

20170429_114924.jpg20170429_114909.jpg20170519_105720.jpg

Dynoman.net has camshafts, valves, big bore kits etc for the dohc. Very good people to deal with.

Be aware that DOHC cams cost a whopping amount more than SOHC and no simple bolt in, the head may have to be clearanced more for the extra lift and all shims change to match the new cams. Same applies to CB900 cams except for cost, and finding a good used set.

Maybe check out these guys from NZ............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2nD1jpqMo

Last edited:
Back