• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Total noob > Start problems

frxnlab

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First time posting. Also just bought my first motorcycle (81 cb750 cafe racer) and keen to start learning. So I apologise upfront for any stupidity in my question.

The motorcycle is in excellent condition in general although it has problems starting from cold. It takes a while to get going but the subsequently starts easier once it is warmed up. The seller (sold it for someone else at his workshop) told me he thinks the guy who built it up used the wrong gauge cables on the battery which I'm going to replace. Not sure if that could be it.

But I wanted to know about the battery primarily. I see the specs for the CB750 is a 12v 14ah battery but the one it currently has is a 9ah battery. Could that be causing the problem with not getting enough power to the starter motor?

Put in the new 14ah battery today after having to modify its casing that was built to size for a 9ah, and it starts and runs like a dream now. Seems like wire gauge is not a problem at all.

Thanks again[emoji869]

Back