• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Moderate Front End Upgrade

Motorhead

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lately, the rust spots on my fork tubes have started spreading, it looks like they're up for replacement.

What I have on the bike right now a complete front end off a 1980 CBX1000A - 35mm forks, with a Telefix fork brace.

A few years ago I also have installed Race-Tech springs and cartridge-emulator valves, which have improved handling significantly. For example, it works much better under braking. I'm also running post-82 dual-piston calipers.

I'm wondering, should I just replace the tubes (and of course, seals and dust caps) and leave everything else as it is, or is it worth looking for a 37mm GL1000 front end, which I heard was a common upgrade for DOHC CB750's? Would that be THAT much of an improvement?

Also the latter would mean I'll have to look for new upgraded springs, emulators and brace (or machine the current brace to fit lager diameter legs).

I am not looking at a full front end swap with a modern bike etc., because it's even more complicated for me since I must keep the original wheel sizes (can't pass MOT here with different tire size than printed in the bike's papers).

So, is it worth looking for a 37mm front end, is it that much of an improvement? Thanks

The '81 and later at least US spec CB750F used a 37 mm. fork and the same disc setup. The US spec CB900F used a 39 mm. fork and the same discs as well. Be aware the fork spacing is about .300" wider meaning the triples change not only for the boresize.

The '81 and later at least US spec CB750F used a 37 mm. fork and the same disc setup. The US spec CB900F used a 39 mm. fork and the same discs as well. Be aware the fork spacing is about .300" wider meaning the triples change not only for the boresize.
Meaning, I will also need a different front axle, and the calipers might need to be re-centered?

Different axle. If you used the OEM mounting for the calipers they should bolt right on. May need a spacer, not sure if the later wheels were slightly wider at the axle or not but they were at the tires, 2.50 instead of 2.15.

Back