• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How I cleaned my gas tank

Mostly a waste of time.

The extra trash seems to show that the tank was Kreemed at one time and possibly why once exposed you see far deeper rust inside like the last few seconds of when done and showing the end result.

A waste of time doing all that shaking with no abrasive inside, the small amount of metal parts put in were a joke, they really did little. Use like coarse type aquarium gravel and 10X the result with shaking maybe 5 minutes max. It's all in how many small sharp edges you put in there, 10 bolts/washers are a waste of time, you make the sharp pieces do the work for you by increasing the number of them. Incidentally an excellent cleaner for plastic car radiator reservoirs as well using gasoline as the solvent, the tanks come out perfectly clean like new.

To remove rust use salt mixed with vinegar but it will eat enough rust you may spring leaks where it was the only thing covering them up.

To remove rust use salt mixed with vinegar but it will eat enough rust you may spring leaks where it was the only thing covering them up.

How much salt and how much vinegar?

I have a lot of rust on my fork tubes between the triple clamps. Would this substance on a cotton cloth remove it without too much rubbing?

Attachments

• IMG_20180102_152900[1].jpg
    IMG_20180102_152900[1].jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 112
It doesn't even have to be exact, just enough salt in the vinegar that it quits dissolving.

For heavier removal use swimming pool muriatic acid but know that it can eat the steel as well in 50 minutes. It works fantastic but hard to not overdo it. How we removed water jacket sediment deposits out of cylinder heads.

When removing rust like that the issue will be preventing it from coming back as the surface will want to rust like never before.

Back