• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My dream bike is turning into a nightmare

Jwc1198

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I bought a 77 cb750. Everything was perfect about it. Rode it and hour and a half home. The next day I changed the grips on it. After I did that I started it up and went to go for a nice Sunday cruise and it didn’t make it down the street. Me, not being a mechanic at all, thought it was a carb issue so I messed with the pilot screw at the bottom of the carbs and made no difference. So I started thinking it was the new throttle grip that I put on it (old one has the sleeve the new one doesn’t) with the old throttle grip on it still didn’t make a difference. I am honestly out of ideas on what I could do to ride my bike I’ve been wanting for a long time. Can anybody help??

The sleeve Your referring to is a part of the throttle cable bellcrank, If You broke it the the carbs will not function. If it is broke it will turn more than one revolution, I usually cut the old ones off (grips) with a box cutter there usually glued on. Spray some hairspray in the new grips and push them on quick before the spray dries

It should be pointed out that out of two grips one has a smaller inside diameter than the other, mixing them up can definitely cause trouble. The bigger hole one goes with the sleeve which you MUST have to make the throttle work right.

Did you turn the fuel valve off after you got it home (best practice in case the carbs start to leak) and then forget to turn the fuel valve back on? Sounds silly, but I have done it!

If it ran fine for the long ride home and then suddenly does not want to run then it has to be something simple. Carbs will rarely cause that sort of sudden change so quit messing with the mixture screws, you will only make it worse. When carbs cause this sort of problem it is usually a result of excessive debris in the fuel system plugging things up and this is a worst case scenario. I would be looking for loose plug wire(s), kinked fuel line, or something else that might have shook loose. Visually inspect as many things as you can, looking for anything that seems out of place. Take pictures and post here if you find anything suspicious before taking any corrective action.

How does the bike idle? Will it start easily and idle well, just no power under load?

Back