• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

charging bad 2 1/2 years not yet fixed!

bohemiafen

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Love this bike i bought 100 miles away then rode it home. Then the expense and breakdowns on the road, of no charging of the battery dogged it for the whole summer untill the system was fixed by a local Hungarian bike shop in Hayes, London. Rode it all around the place, then after comeing back from the south of Poland, it didn't charge again. Put a new stator, Regulator/rectifier, and rotor on, cleaned all the terminals plus diaelectric grease,and all connections on the whole bike, put a heavy duty earth lead from the battery to the engine block.
It charges a good 14 volts at about 3000 rpm. But after commuting about 5 hours off London traffic the battery is dead. I can't resolve this and now carry a spare battery to work in my rucksack along with my sandwiches.
Help please
Jim Aykroyd.

20160228_152808.jpg

Likely rotor, the common part that breaks on so many of them. They can test good yet be bad all day long. As well, they can charge lower down in rpm then quit higher up and then goes back to charging at lowered rpm again. The windings short from centrifugal force contact then they pull back apart at slower speeds. Driven long enough like that then the regulator goes out next from the lowered charge calling for the regulator to bump the field up too far, then the reg dies from overheating.

I failed like 4 of them and every single one acted differently other than ultimately will not charge right.

I've seen the wires to the brushes develop high resistance. It wouldn't hurt to pop the cover off the alternator and check the brushes as well as the resistance in the wires.

Tony

Back