• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New member from TN.

KC750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of researching a possible purchase of a 74 CB750 K4. I am fairly new to vintage Honda’s but I do currently own a 78 GL1000 and really enjoy working on and riding this bike. I have always liked the looks of the 750’s but they seem to be pricey in comparison. My question is this and I know this is a very subjective question but who better to ask than the experts on this site:
I am looking at 2 750s but one has my eye for sure but I’m not sure what to offer. Asking $3600, all original except rear spoke rim was switched to 16 in., front 18 in. Been parked in garage for 15-20 yrs. Turns over but will not start. Bike photos look very clean, paint appears to be in good shape, 9700 original miles. New battery that shows all electrical seems okay (lights, horn, signals, etc). Without seeing the bike in person yet the bike looks great but needs a little TLC.
Ive done all the work on my GL1000 so I do have some experience with getting a vintage bike running and safely back on the road. I’m looking for a winter project and ready to pull the trigger but how much should I offer? If and when I purchase I plan to utilize this site as I have on GoldwingDocs.com. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'd say 3600 is about what its worth if it was ride able. Now the key is figuring out how much it will take to get running. It may just need the carbs cleaned, or it could need a full rebuild. It was probably parked for a reason. I wouldn't pay more then 2800 for it. Even if it needs a motor, you could find one for about $500, and still be invested at its current value. 20 years is along time. Its gonna need all the small things, brake lines, cables, tires, fork seals, probably some minor electrical work (stator, regulator, rectifier), fuel lines, carbs cleaned, and hopefully the gas tank is clean inside.

Good Luck! I picked up my first cb750 in the same condition for 2200 4 years ago, and every year I learn more and more about them. Very easy bikes to learn on. I'm building up my own motor this winter.

One piece if advice. Download the service manual, print it out, and put it in plastic sleeves in a 3 inch binder. AND then read the whole thing; a couple times.

I'd say 3600 is about what its worth if it was ride able. Now the key is figuring out how much it will take to get running. It may just need the carbs cleaned, or it could need a full rebuild. It was probably parked for a reason. I wouldn't pay more then 2800 for it. Even if it needs a motor, you could find one for about $500, and still be invested at its current value. 20 years is along time. Its gonna need all the small things, brake lines, cables, tires, fork seals, probably some minor electrical work (stator, regulator, rectifier), fuel lines, carbs cleaned, and hopefully the gas tank is clean inside.

Good Luck! I picked up my first cb750 in the same condition for 2200 4 years ago, and every year I learn more and more about them. Very easy bikes to learn on. I'm building up my own motor this winter.

One piece if advice. Download the service manual, print it out, and put it in plastic sleeves in a 3 inch binder. AND then read the whole thing; a couple times.

Thanks for the advice. I thought about $3000. I may go take a look at it a go from there. If it’s as nice as it looks with the pics he sent it’s in great shape but will need gone through as you stated above. I’ve learned a tremendous amount going through my GL1000 and look forward to something a little different.

Thanks again!

I myself would not pay more than $2500, you can get a nice Kaw Z-1 for that $3600 price. Too many people pay a premium for a bike like this when there are many other 'classic' bikes out there. It's all in one's head.

I've bought CB1100F for less than that before.

I myself would not pay more than $2500, you can get a nice Kaw Z-1 for that $3600 price. Too many people pay a premium for a bike like this when there are many other 'classic' bikes out there. It's all in one's head.

I've bought CB1100F for less than that before.

I won’t pay $3600 that’s for sure. I plan to check it out first. I don’t get excited about the Yamaha’s although they are sharp bikes. Love my CB1100 by the way!

Thanks.

Welcome to CB750.Com. $3600.00 is top dollar for a running bike. You will put $800 to $1000 in it to get it road worthy. I wouldnt offer more than $1500.00 there will always be another one up for sale. Wait for the right deal! The 78 GL1000 is a great bike but nothing at all like the CB750 SOHC, completely different animals. Ive had a 77, 78 GL1000 and still own a 82 GL1100 (naked) while they are great machines the CB750 SOHC is my favorite.

Welcome to CB750.Com. $3600.00 is top dollar for a running bike. You will put $800 to $1000 in it to get it road worthy. I wouldnt offer more than $1500.00 there will always be another one up for sale. Wait for the right deal! The 78 GL1000 is a great bike but nothing at all like the CB750 SOHC, completely different animals. Ive had a 77, 78 GL1000 and still own a 82 GL1100 (naked) while they are great machines the CB750 SOHC is my favorite.

I hear you on the 750 and I have had my eyes on the 73 or74 for a while now. When I get one I think it will be a keeper and I will look to sell my 78 GL1000, although I love it right now.

As far as $1500 for an all original 74 CB750 with low miles, there is no way your gonna find that where I live that’s in good shape. You can find junk out there all day long that needs a tremendous amount of work, from body to mecahanical, or chopped up 750’s, but that’s not what I’m looking for. Have you been on eBay lately or checked your local craigslist? In the end it’s all in the eye of the beholder and of course you get what you pay for, at least in most cases.

My original thread post was probably not very specific either, and that’s my fault. I’m going to look at two this weekend and go from there. No hurry on either one but I have to admit I’m itching for a winter project :0

Thanks for your post.

Back