• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Subjective question about pricing a SOHC CB750 late 70s

Copperwood

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Total noob here. Consider yourself warned;)

I've been creeping on the forum for quite some time. I have a question regarding the purchase price of a CB750 SOHC. Yes, I understand the market dictates the price, and this has a lot to do with location and timing condition and odometer. However, I just wanted to get a general idea of the price I should expect for a running CB750 that needs some TLC. I'm looking to do a cafe conversion.

So let me pose this qustion this way before I get flamed.

I have been bidding on eBay and craigslist locally in South Florida. Most are posting a late 70's SOHC cb750 for $3000-$3500. It wasn't obvious at first, but I guess these sellers did expect a negotiation. However, none have been willing to go below $2100. Is it unrealistic to think within a few months time I can pick up a late 70's for $1500 or lower that is still running? Although I have the means to pay more, I am a price conscious person, and I am more concerned with getting a fair deal than I am with haggling a crazy deal. My review of the classified ads and responses on SOHC forums and even here lead me to believe these running cb750s that need work are worth far less than $2000.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I fully understand this is a subjective discussion.

Remember though, Search Tempest is for Craigslist. A lot of folks won't deal with you when you talk about shipping. You can expand your search area on Ebay though. Since there are some forms of buyer protection there, that's probably the way to go.

Good luck,
Al

Remember though, Search Tempest is for Craigslist. A lot of folks won't deal with you when you talk about shipping. You can expand your search area on Ebay though. Since there are some forms of buyer protection there, that's probably the way to go.

Good luck,
Al

Thanks AL. I will give a few on CL a shot and see. Already found some that look good in my desiered price range.

They overprice while looking for the newbies that will fall for it. I myself would not pay over $2K for a good running one but here in Texas and they do the same thing. I can get a 900 or 1100 DOHC for what people think is a good price on a SOHC. It's just silly.

Where I live I wouldnt pay over a $1000 for a running bike. Location is huge when it comes to price. Other thing that dictates price on the sohc is OEM exhaust, all body parts there and original. Alot depends on the year, early K's worth far more then later, supersports worth some money also. I would laugh if someone tried to sell one around here for $3000 unless it was in really good shape with stock exhaust.

Thanks guys

I really appreciate the input. The heavy following of Cb750s was a big part of why i picked this bike.

Looks like patence is key. Already tried 2 listings on craigslsit today for out of state cb750s. They have zero interest in letting me arrange shipping. One guy said flat out “hell no.” Another said “If you personally show up at my door and we take care of payment and title, then, and only then...”

Bike had been down before and was still $1500

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/6356979301.html

..........and the willingness to cut yourself off past a certain point..........I call it the 'crazy point'.

Everybody wants to think he has a goldmine now.

Back