• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1st bike need help in diving into build

cerealk17734

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So this begins a few months back. Moved to a new place and this bike sat on the front porch of the house across from me. The owner no longer lived there but still has the property. After this thing eye balling me for weeks I finally caught him at the house cutting the grass. I asked him about it and offered 300 after finding out it had been sitting for 4 years in the same spot. He said he would get back to me since it was his sons. Course I went over and took a look at the numbers and researched it before I talked to him. When I learned that this beautiful thing rotting away was an 1980 CB750C and learned its history and hall of fame accreditation the relationship began. He said the last thing he remembered before it sat was the carbs needed calibrating and after YouTube searching the process I was to tickled. I have years of auto mechanics experience so turning wrenches on my own doesn't turn my stomach and much rather do it myself for that matter. After talking back in forth for months trying I began to become hopeless on getting her. Well last week his daughter decided to renovate and move into the house so he finally gave me an offer I couldn't refuse... Get it off the porch and it's yours. I flew out the door and hussled her over to my shed. All good things come to those who wait right.. sound like a cinderella story right? Well somewhat I would say his offer I couldn't refuse came a few weeks to late. About a month ago some younger kids stopped at my house while I was out front and asked about the bike. Gave me a story about how he has 3 of them himself and so on. Course I played apprehensive giving information lol. Well about a week after that I go out front to have a smoke and coffee and glance over to see my at this point call it obsession and whoa wait a second that doesn't look right. I nonshalantly run over and sure enough someone raided it. Course I can only assume whom considering the accuracy of the exact parts taken.. what caught my eye was the seat missing and after getting closer the carb rack, front and rear signals, tail light, and starter switch solenoid were hacked off with wire cutters. Cut the fuel ,throttle, and choke cables lose and cut the harness wiring to the lights. Also which is kind off going to make things harder a bit his son cannot find the title nor the keys at the moment so I'm sure at some point If he can't I am going to have to replace the ignition and fuel cap no biggie really but not sure what I need to do if he can't find the title so if and or when I revive her I can be legal.

Ok so I know I'm looking at a full rebuild for the most part probably don't have to but for sound mind and justice I will do it.

I'm rather new to motorcyles considering Im the black sheep of my dad's family which all of them have been working and riding since they learned to walk. I've rode a few times but shortly and have never worked on one. I have experience working with quad engines and small engines. Very mechanically and engineering inclined. My life just hasn't given me the opportunity until now which basically just put it in my lap. I'm not one to ignore the universe so challenge accepted.

So that's my story since I'm new here. My questions for you all are

1. Can you direct me to any information that I would benefit from for working on and maintaining motorcycles? And offer me insights and wisdom from veteran mechanics and riders.

2. Help with parts information and finding the correct replacements.
(I have looked at a few sights with little luck finding what I need. One that has most of what I need is vintagecb750.com but locating a carb rack is seeming like an impossible task.)

3. What are my options on getting a title for it if the previous owner has lost it.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Here is what she looks like.

0516fd83f1ac691d9026406a4229627c.jpg
61e8d2c938c4b1b6b299257176951a8d.jpg
114f6e6ee9c0d5636f42fc4c2352a264.jpg
9dcad880be51fbbb885da7c0c69f5a4a.jpg
1c03a26f4431cbb1e889f2a7864b57a4.jpg
6eca2b419821e1a884f05ef6f601957a.jpg
c6ca4618fe36e6ab92e92e19e93e378b.jpg
581d61f97b7b367f0b076514d4b683ae.jpg

Part it out, and buy a complete bike. In the long run you're gonna spend more money buying everything it needs. These bikes are CHEAP and it'll have the keys and title to boot! I just had one offered to me at $1500 that needed nothing.

That could well be and the title is more grief. They are much more expensive when you start looking for lots of parts. The side covers alone there will kill you.

Back