• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

83 nighthawk 750, idle / throttle sticking

Gsjj

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been riding my bike now for about 2 months after completing multiple maintenance items and cleanings. It starts right up without a problem, choke operates as designed and it idles just fine. The problem now is that after it is warmed up and I have been driving for a while, the idles stays high when shifting. When I come to a stop it will be above 2000 for about 3-5 seconds, but then drops right back to 1200. This is every time I let off the throttle to shift or stop.

The throttle grip itself is not sticking, maybe the cable is slow to retract? Is there a way to lube the cable?

Thanks

Hello,

I have been battling a small vacuum leak on carb #4. I continue to adjust the air box, boots and carbs and just can't seem to close it up tight. It is like to boots are too short. They are all original and have no cracks.

I completed a bench sync on the carbs and they are dead on. I did not use a carb synchronizer though.

If the engine condition (compression) is off then the engine will force throttles to be higher than needed to keep engine rolling at idle, that can do the same thing even with all 4 set dead even. Normal engine has them shut enough to idle correctly, an engine off its' peak needs more idle air and past a point the amount then activates the slides to move up and the problem. Strong engines pull hard on a very closed throttle aircrack, weaker ones won't and why the throttles have to be opened up on older worn engines.

I have never seen a possibility of the rubbers being too short but then I use 100% OEM pieces which have no problem like that. Common for the manifolds to not look cracked but they are.

Back