• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

The Final Countdown

Wez_

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hello All,

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend and a great Thanksgiving. I really need to say Thank You all again!

I am at the point where I am ready to consider the engine "done" for now but I still need a few things. First off, I was able to make the intake sprocket alignment dots the same as the exhaust sprocket dots. (slightly off in the same direction or retarded).

20171108_070538.jpg

I put some thread locker on the bolts and called it a day. I am satisfied with the results as long as the motor will operate as advised with the alignment dots slightly off. Perfectly functional, just slightly less optimal.

As for verification of timing, I rotated the assembly extremely slow the first few masses listening for interference. Then after multiple successful rotations, I spun the assembly faster. When the lobes of the #1 cylinder are pointing towards the spark plugs the alignment dots are aligned with the top of the block surface (slightly retarded on both sprockets)

The next issue I have is during reassembly one of the two sprocket retaining bolts fell into the block and I was desperate to find it....

It was NOT coming out no matter what, and an endoscope yielded nothing...I eventually got it out, but while doing so, I attempted to access the lower block by removing the oil pump housing (does not grant further access). But I think I need a new gasket, just couldn't figure out which one is needed. Can anyone advise which gasket this is?

20171109_203225.jpg20171109_203244.jpg

Is this the correct gasket Found it on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

Here is my pump

20171216_155312.jpg

Also, is the chain supposed to be up against the tensioner? They appear to be in contact...

20171216_155850.jpg

If talking about the exposed sprocket there they do run close but should not touch, I see none there.

Gasket should work.

If talking about the exposed sprocket there they do run close but should not touch, I see none there.

Gasket should work.

I am referring to the long exhaust chain that extends down into the lower block. It appears to be in contact with the flexible portion of the tensioner. If this is what you were referencing, then OK. They appear really close, I would probably need a feeler gauge to measure clearance but if you think it looks OK, then I'll leave it alone. Thanks

Yes, the sprung bow section of the tensioner at rear of chain MUST rub against the chain and how it takes the slack out of it. Why very slow wear occurs there.

Back