• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Valve shims

Hillbilly Bike

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the valve adjustment on my 81 750 while the engine is out of the frame......it appears someone was in here before me and all the valves need adjustment...In inches they are 4-6 thousands....it ran ok and wasn't noisy...I don't know how much you can cheat on this but even shuffling the shims around I'll need about 8 of them....

Four to six thousands is perfect. I know the manual states .002 but that causes burnt valves. You're shooting for .005
Go to this site and read this:
http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=68364#68364

Oh, and DO NOT rotate the engine without all of the shims in place. You'll damage it. I was lucky and was able to swap two from 1-3, still I had to buy another.
Also, do not use the FSM torque value for a valve cover, you'll strip out the bolt holes. I JUST went through this, I put 2 helicoils in today! Just snug the bolts down and if it leaks, snug it down a bit more. I used a ball end ratcheting nut driver.

And read a bunch of the other stickies. Seriously, there is a ton of good info there, here too.

Al

Last edited:
Back